Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 27, 2012, 02:18 PM
MVP

Default sata controller

will soon need more sata ports than available on my motherboard. i used to use a promise controller. now i see "sata raid" cards. i dont want raid, at all. basically just a card that i can hook extra drives up to.

some of the "sata raid" cards are a ridiculous price too. something reliable but n the lower end of the price scale.

thx for any info

rob123
Old December 27, 2012, 02:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Dell PERC 5/i
Old December 27, 2012, 02:42 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm guessing something like these would be sufficient if you just want more ports without RAID:
Newegg.ca - HighPoint Rocket 640L PCI-Express 2.0 x4 Low Profile SATA III (6.0Gb/s) RAID Controller Card (4 SATA)
Newegg.ca - HighPoint RocketRAID 2680 SGL PCI-Express x4 Low Profile SATA / SAS RAID Controller Card (8 SATA via 2 miniSAS cables)
Old December 28, 2012, 10:21 AM
MVP

so even though both of those advertise their raid capabilities, i can use them as extra sata ports for my motherboard and not use the raid at all?

thx

rob123
Old December 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
Allstar

so the 'JBOD' specification for RAID cards isn't necessary?
Old December 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob123 View Post
so even though both of those advertise their raid capabilities, i can use them as extra sata ports for my motherboard and not use the raid at all?
By default they'll just show as single drives. Only becomes RAID if you setup an array.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
so the 'JBOD' specification for RAID cards isn't necessary?
No, unless you want to group all your drives into a massive chunk of space. No point of doing this at the card level anyways since you can do it within Windows (dynamic disks).
Old December 28, 2012, 11:12 PM
Allstar

oh....apparently i totally misunderstood what JBOD meant. I always thought JBOD was equivalent to plugging into the motherboard; each drive gets its own letter, partitions notwithstanding.

so i JBOD a bunch of disks, it'll appear as a single huge drive and when i write to it, the data gets randomly stored to one of the disks?
Old December 29, 2012, 12:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
so i JBOD a bunch of disks, it'll appear as a single huge drive and when i write to it, the data gets randomly stored to one of the disks?
Correct. So let's say you have 4x 1TB drives in JBOD. It would show as a single 4TB drive in Windows. You have no idea where your data resides.
Old December 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Allstar

JBOD (just a bunch of disks) is exactly that - each disk is independent. There is no collective property or dependence. Each behaves as a separate drive and no special software is required.

For example in JBOD mode, disk1, disk2, disk3 disk4 are seen as E:, F: G:, H:

Where all the physical disks are concatenated into a single "disk", is properly known as disk spanning (sometimes a BIG disk) but is not JBOD. This needs to be implemented in either controller firmware or OS software or a combination of both.

For example in SPAN mode disk1, disk2, disk3, disk4 are seen as one large E:
Old December 29, 2012, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm I've always been under the impression that when a RAID controller says it has JBOD it means that it combines all the drives into a single volume.

Even a quick Google yields both explanations from varying sites. Definitely some misinformation going on.