Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 23, 2012, 09:53 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Redoing a Raid0 on my CrosshairV Formula

Hey guys recently I made the plunge and picked up 2 of these drives here to be Raided on my system,It was a Raid 0.

ADATA S510 120GB 2.5" SATA 6Gb/s Solid Sate Drive (SSD), Read: 550MB/s Write: 510MB/s (AS510S3-120GM-C)

I had one of the drives fail and has since been RMAd but I lost my OS as well.I"m really starting to wonder if going this way is really worth it once I get my new drive back from Adata

Old December 23, 2012, 10:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to do raid 0 for my OS drive (2x 80GB intel ssd's) but I found that it was quite the hassle as well if anything went wrong. Since I was playing games at the time, I decided to break down the Raid array and installed my OS on one of the drives and migrated my steam & Origin folder to the other drive for storage. I liked it this way. Didn't notice any real drop in speed either.
Old December 23, 2012, 10:36 AM
Allstar

Raid 0 won't be worth it if you are using on-board chipset + only 2 drives. do as above stated unless you invest a lot more into your setup.
Old December 23, 2012, 04:31 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
I used to do raid 0 for my OS drive (2x 80GB intel ssd's) but I found that it was quite the hassle as well if anything went wrong. Since I was playing games at the time, I decided to break down the Raid array and installed my OS on one of the drives and migrated my steam & Origin folder to the other drive for storage. I liked it this way. Didn't notice any real drop in speed either.
Thx dande thats what I was thinking too!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
Raid 0 won't be worth it if you are using on-board chipset + only 2 drives. do as above stated unless you invest a lot more into your setup.
Not really interested in going anymore in debt for a raid setup so I may just leave the system as is and put steam on the other drive

Old December 23, 2012, 07:54 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Been using raid0 since IBM's biggest harddrive was 80 gig (deathstar we used to call them). Couldn't see myself ever going back to a single OS drive again really. Actually wanna upgrade my 2-120 gig ssd's too 256 gig drives. When ya see the graph on hdtach go into 2000 that is when it is worth it, they test in at 1000mb/s read and write or better in raid0.

Last edited by nasrott; December 23, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old December 23, 2012, 08:16 PM
Allstar

I run RAID 0 myself, I have a 4 drive right now and have picked up 3 more identical drives on the cheap so will be sporting a 7 drive RAID 0 SSD after xmas some time on a relaxing day. but 2 SSDs in RAID 0 are not worth it with onboard controllers.
Old December 24, 2012, 04:51 AM
MVP

My System Specs

am always up for learning BlueByte why is it you don't like onboard raid controllers, years ago the bus speed was a limit so we used to use a raid card, nowadays is not the case no? 2 drives in raid0 with an onboard controller is fine. Multiple drives on raid 5 or 6 is another level and needs hardware controllers ie: expensive add on cards. Maybe things have changed and am not up to date anymore?

Last edited by nasrott; December 24, 2012 at 05:42 AM.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:16 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueByte View Post
I run RAID 0 myself, I have a 4 drive right now and have picked up 3 more identical drives on the cheap so will be sporting a 7 drive RAID 0 SSD after xmas some time on a relaxing day. but 2 SSDs in RAID 0 are not worth it with onboard controllers.
Geeez I was kinda hoping that the money I spent on this mobo I was getting a controller that I coulod rely on.Really makes you wonder?

Old December 24, 2012, 07:24 AM
MVP

My System Specs

some addon card controllers are more than your motherboard. Honestly don't think you'll have a problem with your onboard controller, raid0 is a hassle to some extent, but in my opinion worth it. Anything that is important too you u back up on external drives. Were talking an OS and some games no? All simply re installed if anything should ever go wrong even from scratch.

Last edited by nasrott; December 24, 2012 at 07:34 AM.
Old December 24, 2012, 07:38 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nasrott View Post
some addon card controllers are more than your motherboard. Honestly don't think you'll have a problem with your onboard controller, raid0 is a hassle to some extent, but in my opinion worth it. Anything that is important too you u back up on external drives. Were talking an OS and some games no? All simply re installed if anything should ever go wrong even from scratch.
Yep everything that is critical is backed up (Thank goodness) So it was just a reinstall of the OS on my remaining SSD and grab my Steam and stuff off the other drive.