Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 23, 2008, 01:05 AM
Banned

Default HDD Advice

Hi gang. I have a question of whether it is worth the investment of time.

I recently bought two HDDs of the same size for RAID-0. I opened up the case to install two new video cards and noticed on one of the HDDs I had snapped the "lip" of the power connector on the drive itself. You know how it looks like a funny L? Well the lip of the L is missing (broke off).

Should I take advantage of my over the counter replacement warranty (2 years) and then reformat or should I bite the bullet on this one?

As a side note I wish they manufactured those things far more sturdy than they are.
Old April 23, 2008, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If it's broken, and you have warranty.. send it back! Always! hehe If that's what your asking?
Old April 23, 2008, 10:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does the sata power connector still "clip" into place? Provided the power connector is secure it shouldn't be any problem the L shape portion serves as an "idiot proof" tool so that people don't install their sata connectors incorrectly. If it does not and you notice that it easily slips out of place I highly suggest returning the drive and get a new one.

Regards,

EE
Old April 23, 2008, 02:34 PM
Banned

Thanks guys! I will return this shortly.

It's too lose to be safe and my case is tightly configured so bumping the cable will remove it.