Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

As I stated in the review...show me a free version with TECH SUPPORT. 18 bucks is nothing. Most enthusiasts spend more on fans than that.

Ram Cache is short term storage. RD's are long term. Apples vs oranges. Plus exactly how would you allow for the skew it would introduce. ie "wow look that HDD hit speeds of 750MB/s...what an amazing hard drive."

To be clear: I would not opt for a RD over a SSD if I did not own the Ram. BUT if you already own the ram...why not? 18 bucks allows you to get some use out of it. This is why it did not get a DAM GOOD award, just a DGV.

To be frank, AMD should work out a deal with their board partners - like ASrock does - and include it FREE with all mobos over a certain price (say 150).

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 12, 2012, 05:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well since I put the 32GB of ram in my system I have been using a ramdisk. At first I had ME3 loaded on it, then once I finished with that I put DA: Origins on it and now it has FarCry 3 on it. I have been using the one that I think is the best, at least for free, SoftPerfect RAM Disk. I have it set to an 18GB ram disk and with that and everything else I have going in the background I have about 8.5-9GB free out of the 32GB sitting at the desktop. Now I do not have it set to load on startup or anything as I just don't shut my machine off.

As for this Radeon RAMDisk, I do think that yes it is nice for them to offer something but I think it is just enough to get someone interested and move to another product. I have also thought about trying out some of the RAMcaching but for now I will stick with the one I have and just use it for a game or two at a time. Then again, I might have to load CS6 onto it just to see how fast it will start up.

And just as an example of different results people get from different software here are two results of mine. First is the SuperSpeed RamDisk 11 option using their free trial.

The second is using the SoftPerfect product I mentioned before and is free.

All in all, I think you did a decent job on the review and really I think that the only thing that could have added to it would have been comparisons to other ramdisk products. But either way thanks for the review and showing people some of the options they have for larger amounts of RAM.

Old December 12, 2012, 06:49 PM

Thank you Ipaine. I can guarantee you that IF we ever do another Ram Drive review I will be sure to include a free version. ;)

Edit: Didnt read all of DT's comment. Simple answer DT: don't read it, and make a member review on what you think a 'proper' RD review should include.

Honestly, I did not do this review for people who already USE a RD. What YOU consider 'nauseating obvious' is not to most people.

This review main goal was simple: to introduce the technology to people who had never even heard of it before....but might have seen AMD's adverts for the tech and wondered what it was.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; December 12, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old December 13, 2012, 03:34 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseWilson View Post
Still SSDs have come down to a dollar a gb and ram sits at 4$ a gb. I guess you are getting 4x+ performance in some cases. Seems great for games and small apps but wouldn't the ram be better used by photo shop then as a hard drive?
well, not all of us use photoshop.

opening MS office is an unpleasant enough experience on an SSD.
Old December 14, 2012, 09:30 AM
Rookie

Question

I wonder how one can achieve 64 GB RAM Disk, when the maximum RAM that can be added on my Motherboard is only 64 GB.
The RAM Disk software claims that upto 64 GB RAM Disk can be achieved. But in the table provided only 40 GB is possible.
I will purchase the 64 GB version, but have to got cleared of this doubt.
I am already convinced with the performance increase with just a 4GB RAM Disk.
My OS is 64 bit and is on a 60 GB partition of a 120 GB SSD.
Please advise
Old December 14, 2012, 10:08 AM

Honestly, for most users 24-28GB is going to be the largest they can/should make. After that it becomes rather academic. Most consumer grade mobo's ram support maxes out - at this time - @ 32GB. Take away 8GB for the OS and you get 24GB, push it down to 4GB for the OS (not a good idea) and you get 28GB.

Now with that said...there is nothing to say you cant use a 2P mobo or server grade mobo with DOUBLE (or more) the ram slots (....and headaches) and then make a monster RamDisk....thus the 64GB limit.

BUT unless you have a 2P mobo or have uber expensive ram and a mobo with 64GB ram support...its a non-issue.

Old December 14, 2012, 01:02 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

128GB DDR3 kits will become available early next year so 64GB RAMDisks will be possible.
Old December 14, 2012, 01:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
128GB DDR3 kits will become available early next year so 64GB RAMDisks will be possible.
Are we talking enterprise level stuff (2P) or consumer level boards like X79?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 14, 2012, 06:24 PM
Rookie

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Not really. The OS can still be used as NTFS while the RAM drive will be under the FAT file system.
But when I formatted the drive it was NTFS ??
Old January 15, 2014, 03:19 PM
Trial Member

My System Specs

Default RamDisk

I came across this site googling amd ramdisk and I see that this is an older thread and am wishing against hope that I may pose a question. Here goes. I read about half the posts and am trying to come to the conclusion of whether this ramdisk thing (or variation) is a good thing to use. I do have an SSD that I mainly use for my OS and have two other 1 TB HDD's for data storage. I have 16 GB of RAM (4x4GB) that is listed as 9-9-9-24 in Speccy, DDR3 Corsair Vengence models if memory serves (no pun).

I installed the SSD and ran the Samsung test thing and noticed my speeds where on the slow side and found that my mobo only supports SATA II although it does list itself as SATA III. After mucho time palavering with HP was told it was a BIOS setting that sadly this particular model does not have a BIOS flash to update. Talked to Samsung and they and HP more or less came to the conclusion that it was my mobo, which is made by Gigabyte but is a special order from HP and Gigabyte doesn't have any BIOS flashes to offer either. OK now that the preliminaries are out of the way, was wondering would adding RamDisk software bring about any gain in performance or am I at a wall in that respect. Any and all advice if this OP is still open will be appreciated. Thanks from the lower 48.