Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 12, 2012, 11:58 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Thank you for your input Ardic. Unfortunately doing it the way you request is simply not possible. ANY drive's performance will be artificially boosted well beyond what you can realistically expect from them and introduce variables that would skew the results all over the place. More importantly this device is a medium and long term storage option...not a short term. What happens when you finish playing your game and go to load say Photoshop? Then a couple hours and GB's worth of data later go to play it again? OR decide to play a different game. OR put your system in sleep and then the next morning want to play the game? These are more realistic scenarios than playing a game. Stopping it and then immediately restarting it again.

Ramcache is an OK solution, but IMHO not even in the same league as even a SSD - let alone a RAMDrive.

YMMV and no one solution is going to be right for everyone.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 12, 2012, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, I strongly disagree, AkG. No drive operates without the benefit of buffer cache in the OS, whether it be spinny hard disks, SSD or ram drive. We compare SSD's to HD's without the benefit of buffer cache inflating the results because we know BOTH will be using RAM buffers; we're testing what the drives do in isolation. Take the RAM away from the system and dedicate it to a ramdisk for a certain app, and yes, you've nailed that app into RAM, but you've also starved every other app of the potential benefit of that RAM. Just put a cache preload script in your startup if you really want that 1st launch to be as fast as the 2nd. It'll still probably slow your boot down less than the ramdisk preload you need to do here, and you won't need to manually manage writes or do stupid sync operations every 5 min.

I don't even know why this is controversial. These ideas were argued out in the 70's and 80's on big iron, VM cache algorithms were written and tuned, research papers were written, and everyone patted themselves on the back for advancing computer science. DOS was braindead and didn't know how to handle RAM properly, but ever since MAC OS/X, Linux, or Windows NT/2000, I can't think of a single good reason for a ramdisk on a PC that wouldn't end up slowing you down more often than speeding you up.
Old December 12, 2012, 12:32 PM

8GB for Windows 7 is the point of diminishing returns. After that most sits idle. Yes the OS fills it up with RamCache but that is a less than optimal solution as it is wrong just as often as it is 'right' on its guess. I personally have used RD since the Dos 2.0 days. Is it right for everyone? No. They are not a silver bullet. But simply waving your hand and saying 'RamBuffer does just as good" is not being fair and balanced. Nor is saying 'just run scripts'. This is a simple solution for the average joe. Expecting people to learn scripting just to save 18 dollars is about the same as saying "RTFM" to a new user.

The fact of the matter is anything loaded into the RamDrive is fast. First time, last time. It does NOT matter. You can not say the same for Buffering alogs. You can make a script all you want, but unless you have near infinite RAM it will not load it all into Ram...and will swap out as it sees fit. This is nearly plug and play simple.

It has become fashionable lately for people to spec 16GB or more RAM for their new system. A 8GB RD + 8GB for the OS is a better solution than buffering or scripting. You disagree. Fine. Its a free country. Thinking anyone who disagrees with you is 'silly' IMHO is very arrogant and crosses the line.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old December 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'm very arrogant and have crossed the line? Nevermind, I'll just show myself out then.
Old December 12, 2012, 02:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used this site as a guide to set up a Ramcache.

How To Set Up a RamCache on ASUS X79 Series Motherboards..

Sure it was fast in benchmarks. Like 10 times faster than a Vertex 4 but in real world it was still just as fast as my SSD.

AKG do you recommend going RamDisk? I have a UPS. It would be for my main computer and I don't mind a bit of a wait on startup.

I may do it just as an experiment but not sure if it would be stable enough for 24/7 use.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old December 12, 2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardric View Post
You didn't even bother to test it. This review is silly IMHO.
Quote:
I can't think of a single good reason for a ramdisk on a PC that wouldn't end up slowing you down more often than speeding you up.
Quote:
I'm very arrogant and have crossed the line? Nevermind, I'll just show myself out then.
'Nuff said.

You want to discuss the merits of RD vs non-RD. Always willing to listen. Maybe next time you will try to get your point across without resorting to 'all or nothing' POVs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by belgolas View Post
I used this site as a guide to set up a Ramcache.

How To Set Up a RamCache on ASUS X79 Series Motherboards..

Sure it was fast in benchmarks. Like 10 times faster than a Vertex 4 but in real world it was still just as fast as my SSD.

AKG do you recommend going RamDisk? I have a UPS. It would be for my main computer and I don't mind a bit of a wait on startup.

I may do it just as an experiment but not sure if it would be stable enough for 24/7 use.
RamDrives are not a silver bullet -thus the DGV and not DG award - but they do have their uses. Try the free version if you like what it does...go for it. It is less than a 5 large double-doubles. So not much down side IF you dont like it. Just leave 8GB for the OS. ;)

Old December 12, 2012, 02:45 PM
Allstar

has anyone tested this with Office 2013? Even on an SSD, it has the stupid splash screen. I'm not sure if its cause the SSD is still 'too slow' or if it's on a set timer.

Also, not sure if I missed this in the review, but if your computer hibernates with a ramdisked program open, what happens?
Old December 12, 2012, 02:55 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Not really. The OS can still be used as NTFS while the RAM drive will be under the FAT file system.

. I thought the con meant the HDD had to be a FAT32 partition. Nevermind, it's been a long couple of weeks with not enough sleep. I'll go back in my cave now.
Old December 12, 2012, 04:37 PM
Top Prospect

Still SSDs have come down to a dollar a gb and ram sits at 4$ a gb. I guess you are getting 4x+ performance in some cases. Seems great for games and small apps but wouldn't the ram be better used by photo shop then as a hard drive?
Old December 12, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG
Cons:
- Windows only
Why is this listed as a con when all other major desktop operating systems - Linux, Mac, FreeBSD - come with their own RAM disk implementation pre-baked? Actually, since RAM disk is both free and limitless in all other operating system, it could be considered a pro that the limited AMD/DataRAM solution is contained only to the Windows platform.

Nax posted this over at NCIX, so I'll leave it here too: 12 RAM Disk Software Benchmarked for Fastest Read and Write Speed ? Raymond.CC

Summary: The SoftPerfect RAM disk is faster, better and freer.

And, I hate to say it, but I agree completely with Ardric. Comparing a RAM disk to HDD and SSD is a bleak exercise in stating the nauseatingly obvious. The review would have benefited greatly from comparisons against RAM disk's only meaningful competitor - RAM cache. In fact, even a comparison against a handful of other freeware RAM disk options would have provided new and interesting information since most other previous comparisons (including the one I linked to above) rely only on synthetic benchmarks.

I would think that the only readers to walk away with new and interesting information from this review will be those with no or limited familiarity with RAM disks. That may be acceptable for most review sites but for better or for worse I've come to expect more of HWC. This review just seems like a lot of work went into it, but not a lot of thought. I'm sorry.

Think you can overclock? Then show us what you got!
Join the Hardware Canucks Overclocking team today!