Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 11, 2012, 02:30 PM
Rookie

Default Setting up a SSD

I'm new at this so ..... I am setting up a 256G ssd and I want to copy paste some of my material from my former C drive hhd . Can I do that with windows still installed on the HHD ? I will then format it. My OS will be on the ssd which will be my new c drive. I hope this makes sence . My concern is when booting up the machine will not know which to boot from. I know it's supposed to boot from c but I am not sure.

Thanks for listening, pcmike
Old December 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
MVP

My System Specs

When installing an operating system to a new hard drive, it's advisable to disconnect any other drives from the system -- this ensures the correct drive is selected, by virtue of being the only choice.

Once you've got the new drive's OS up and running you should have no issues reconnecting the older hard drive and then copying material from it. There are two caveats to that, however. The first is to ensure you're booting off the correct hard drive; this is determined by your BIOS settings. The second is to ensure the material you want to copy isn't in a protected folder under the old OS. If it's just a few files, I find it most convenient to boot up the old hard drive's OS and copy the files into an unprotected folder on the new drive.
Old December 22, 2012, 12:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Yes you can do that just make sure in you Bios that you have the SSD drive as you first drive and when installing windows make sure you are installing it on you SSD dive ,then when it gets though installing ,just copy the files you want on your SSD drive from you other drive.Then on you old drive just go to properties and formatt and then you will have a clean drive to install on.
Intel-i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16g G.Skill 1666DDR3+256g Crucial-SSD+1-3TB Seagate+2-1TB-Samsung+1-640g- WesternDigtal+SLI-ASUS DIRECT CU II GTX-670+LG-12x Blurner+Logtech G9x-mouse+G-110-keyboard+Driving Force GT Wheel+Pioneer VSX-1020K+Polk Audio Speakers+LG-50"Plasma PM6700+Antec-P280+XFX 850w PRO Semi-Modular
Old December 22, 2012, 02:04 PM
Allstar

is it REALLY that hard to install to the right drive? especially when one drive is full and the other is brand new empty? I can't say I've ever had trouble finding the right drive, and I've never heard of anyone actually installing to the wrong drive (just warnings not to).
Old December 22, 2012, 11:40 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

i would just use cloning software to clone hd to your ssd make sure to use paragon alignment tool then edit your new ssd data and be done
Old December 23, 2012, 08:15 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingerbee View Post
i would just use cloning software to clone hd to your ssd make sure to use paragon alignment tool then edit your new ssd data and be done
+1 for sure if current OS has no issues

Arconis is the best for this task

first back-up wanted data, game saves/profiles, pic's etc

then collect all your current OS drivers for motherboard/hardware burn to a disk/or USB stik

update bios/firmware for hardware if need be. before intalling on new drive.

what rest is saying on use one drive to install OS is that making no room for error of install

doing format on a drive that has data on, we all done that some time formatted a used drive by mistake

Last edited by KaptCrunch; December 23, 2012 at 08:21 AM.