Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   NEW uSB 3 EXT ?'s (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/58228-new-usb-3-ext-s.html)

nasrott December 1, 2012 05:20 AM

NEW uSB 3 EXT ?'s

Just picked up a new drive (Drive is a WD element se 1tb), this is what I have tryed so far a few times, (maybe I am missing something but) in order to quickly copy files onto this usb3 drive you need to be connected to the computer that the files are on, here I get around 85 MB/s. Then if I want this as a network drive connected to my router I only get 8 MB/s (obviously moving it around to do this). So moving 500 gig of files went from 8 hours bla bla minutes to 1.5 hours idea when connected to the puter with the files on it....

My router is an Asus NT-65U, it has 2 usb 3 ports on it.

Am I doing something wrong or is this the norm?

dandelioneater December 1, 2012 05:31 AM

when you transfer files over your network it will be much slower than if the drive was plugged into the computer directly. The network is the bottleneck. You must be running 100Mbit lan, which would theoretically be about 12.5 MB/s. So 8MB/s seems about right.

nasrott December 1, 2012 05:34 AM

ya router is a gigabit one so 100 right?

LarkStarr December 1, 2012 08:35 AM

the Asus NT-65U is a gigabit router, but it -seems- you're getting limited by a 100 Mbit/s network speed somewhere, maybe an old Ethernet controller on the computer itself, a switch or something? Is the computer you're transferring to connected with Cat 6 cabling and showing a gigabit link speed in the network status?

enaberif December 1, 2012 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LarkStarr (Post 674703)
the Asus NT-65U is a gigabit router, but it -seems- you're getting limited by a 100 Mbit/s network speed somewhere, maybe an old Ethernet controller on the computer itself, a switch or something? Is the computer you're transferring to connected with Cat 6 cabling and showing a gigabit link speed in the network status?

You don't need Cat6 for gigabit.. Cat5e will work just fine. He needs to verify that all systems are actually connected at gigabit speeds.

nasrott December 1, 2012 11:58 AM

my connection is yellow and I believe that the color for gigabit is yellow on this asus no ? All 3 of my computers are yellow also.The router is beside me and my system is a rog z77 board so am on the onboard nic, was just thinking it would be faster. Am using windows 8 64 and the other 2 machines if it maters are using win7 64.

enaberif December 1, 2012 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nasrott (Post 674730)
my connection is yellow and I believe that the color for gigabit is yellow on this asus no ? All 3 of my computers are yellow also.

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center

Where it says Connections: Local Area

Click that and check your "Speed"

nasrott December 1, 2012 12:05 PM

1.0 Gbps

nasrott December 2, 2012 07:20 AM

Was wondering if the bridged router ( one that I got from my isp ) could be causing me all the slow transfer problems? It is needed for rogers extreme, it sucked so bridged it and added the asus.

JD December 2, 2012 11:28 AM

Sounds like your plugging the hard drive directly into the router? If so, then it's likely only USB2 and also the translation performed on the router to make it shared eats into the throughput too. I don't think many routers share USB drives at more than 10MB/s. It's just a limitation of having to translate file systems and protocols (most routers use Linux derivatives).

You're better off leaving it plugged into a PC with USB3 and then sharing the drive from that PC. Then you should get the full 85MB/s.