Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 29, 2012, 07:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks, I only need to clone win7 for now. Got the WD Acronis installed.
Old November 29, 2012, 10:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

There's lots of freeware out there that will do the job. I just used EaseUS Disk Copy Home Edition (free) twice last night to clone some drives. You have to create a piece of bootable media and boot the program at startup, but it's quick and simple, especially if you have a USB stick. Todo, also by EaseUS, is a good option and it will let you operate in Windows, but you only get a 15-day trial period before you have to pay.
Old November 30, 2012, 05:49 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Well one SSD is a Crucial and the other SSD is a Kingston. Both the regular hard drives are Western Digital. I guess I will just have to try one and experiement. Thanks for all the advice. You guys are the best.
Old January 11, 2013, 05:03 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Success! Cloned C: drive to Samsung SSD

Well I managed to clone my C: drive to a Samsung 840 series 120 GB SSD (BTW the Samsung clone program that I downloaded from their web site didn't work)

For those who want to do it, here's how I did. (no claims on being an expert. Probably better ways to do it but this worked for me). It was surprisingly easy.

Hook the new SSD up to your system and boot (or reboot if you have hot swap drives)
Run Disk Manager - give it a MBR (master boot record) and right click on the drive select new simple volume and give it a letter. (go to the start button and just start typing disk man and it will pop up)
Download Easeus todo backup free from cNET
EaseUS Todo Backup Free 5.5 - CNET Download.com
Install and run it
Clone the C: drive to the new drive letter N (or whatever you picked) It did want to create a large system reserved partition on the drive. It shows you what it will do but I clicked and dragged it back to 1GB from 12.5 GB. Probably could have made it smaller than that but I didn't know what I was doing. I figured a GB was more than necessary. Somebody smart than me can comment.
When finished
Swap the drives and pull your old one out of the case
Reboot the machine
Windows rebooted once on me but then everything was fine.
Run Disk Manager and right click on the drive, properties, and change the name to something you like.

I think that was all the highlights

The Samsung SSD magician v3.2 software is kind of fun to fiddle with if you have a Samsung drive.
Attached Images