Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2012, 06:45 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default "Color Research" DVD-R

Anyone ever hear of this brand before, I just "had to" order some from tigerdirect for price reasons

Buy the Color Research DVD-R 50-Pack at TigerDirect.ca

I'm taking a chance, but they were only $8/50 and I was too broke for verbatim/sony

searching them only gets ~600 hits
Old November 27, 2012, 07:06 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The brand name doesnt really mean much....just that where its a less well known brand that it is more likely lower grade quality.

Next - or inside - the product bar code will be a Made in XYZ. Made in Japan == TY/MCC/Ricohjapan and are PREMIUM grade goodness. Made in Taiwan are decent to poor grade usually made by CMC or other 2nd teir OEMs....but the Ridata/Riteks are usually garabage grade thus the good to poor grade. Made in Malyasia...just avoid. Just really really bad. Made in India usually means MBI == well crap.

IF you need more specifics...DL DVD Idenifier which reads the ADIP info and then you can search online for it.

TBH...best place to buy blanks...is blankmedia.ca good prices and they break it down by OEM not brand. Buy MCC or Tayo Yuden and see which MIJ brand your drive prefers. I usually stuck with TY as they were the grand daddies of DVDs and are excellent quality...BUT it has been YEARS since I burned enough disks to warrant a 50 pack. ;)

edit here is a link for 21 buck for 100 TYs (though value line is a slightly lower grade...but still better than most non Made In Japan blanks).
DVD-R 16X JVC TAIYO YUDEN VALUE LINE SILVER LACQUER HUB PRINTABLE 100 PCS - Buy Wholesale BLANK DVDR DISCS

YMMV on all of this. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 27, 2012, 07:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Can't speak from personal experience but they're probably crap. Burn them at 1X/2X and they should be fine.
Old November 27, 2012, 07:21 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good point supafly. TedS....Test them with DiscSpeed (brun a blank and see what it says) and see how many PIFs you get, jitter levels are, etc. if you get ANY POFs...they are junk. Try dif speeds. Might be OK at slightly lower than rated speeds. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 27, 2012, 07:38 PM
MVP

My System Specs

yeah I'll burn at slow speed, and expect them to not last long /degrade fast

most of it isn't even pirated "aaaaaarrrrrrggggghhhh", it's ripped from utube so that if I can't afford the internets I'll have something to watch/learn from

edit: 2nd 120GB SSD on the way, that will do fine for games for a while, BF3, Skyrim, Sleeping Dogs, Hitman3, Starcraft2 +Win7 and minimal programs take up 1 120GB SSD with only 20GB free, Far Cry 3 will be out soon, + a few more games at a time will fit on another 120GB nicely

Last edited by TedShackley; November 27, 2012 at 07:57 PM.