Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 27, 2012, 09:43 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Just to be clear, if someone 'robs' your laptop...it doesnt matter if the drive is encrypted or not. Most auto-encrypting SSDS provide a SEAMLESS experience for the end user. Its only when you remove the drive and try in a different system that the encryption comes into play. The only way to do lock down a device which is NOT in your possession is with AES 256 and a strong password. This last bit is just as important as the first. IMHO, 99.9% of home users wont go through all those hoops (ie having to log on and give a long ass password that is hard to guess). The other .1% should be looking at Enterprise grade SSDs. The Intel DC S3700 has this feature built in (and is end user configurable)....but that is all I can say on those drives right now. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

They closed their Canadian offices recently (in Markham, ON), so any RMA requires defective units to be shipped back to USA....any advantages to buying OCZ is now out of the question since it costs more to ship back for warranty.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:14 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Will OCZ be licensing out this controller to other companies? The performance while full is impressive and money made off the controller might help them get back in The black.
Old November 28, 2012, 04:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

OCZ moves enough SSDs that they can keep this controller exclusive for the time being.
Old November 28, 2012, 09:03 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Great job AKG, interesting read on the Barefoot 3
Old November 28, 2012, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

They needed to start their reinvention somewhere. Good for them. I was leery as to see how the company would end up going. They probably have other R&D items they'll bring to market, eventually. Don't want to tarnish anything since they're already walking on eggshells and susceptible to failure with bad criticism. This is a great step back into the fray. =)
Old November 28, 2012, 10:44 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Just to be clear, if someone 'robs' your laptop...it doesnt matter if the drive is encrypted or not. Most auto-encrypting SSDS provide a SEAMLESS experience for the end user. Its only when you remove the drive and try in a different system that the encryption comes into play. The only way to do lock down a device which is NOT in your possession is with AES 256 and a strong password. This last bit is just as important as the first. IMHO, 99.9% of home users wont go through all those hoops (ie having to log on and give a long ass password that is hard to guess). The other .1% should be looking at Enterprise grade SSDs. The Intel DC S3700 has this feature built in (and is end user configurable)....but that is all I can say on those drives right now. ;)
I know many users who have set drive passwords that must be entered before using the system. It is especially effective on laptops. Encryption that works without any access authentication is worthless in a laptop for any drive. ANd these are not enterprise but personal systems. Those who go the trouble and in soem cases expense for encrypting and then set it up so it's automatic are just deluding themselves when it coems to security - which sadly is the norm amongst the general population.

I still say it is an unfortuante decision. It would cost nothing for them to have enabled it and given the USER the option whether or not to use it.
Old November 28, 2012, 12:57 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
Looks n sounds great ... now only question is ... IS OCZ going to be around for the next 5 years to warrenty it? Otherwise I must say this jumps up there with interest in my looking to step up in size of ssd as a almost "must buy".
This is the exact same thing I've been saying for a while.