Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 20, 2012, 04:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Its funny but people say the same thing...every time a new bigger drive comes out. "oh 1TB drives, meh, why not use two 500GB". rinse and repeat every gen.

The larger drives cause a trickle down effect which lowers prices of the smaller versions. These massive drives stay fast LONGER than the smaller ones. Its not just a case of 4TB of space but 2-3TB of well north of 100MB/s+ performance. That is important to a lot of people. Give it 12 months and we will (probably) be arguing over the merits of 5TB drives vs two 2.5TB drives. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
MVP

4TB at ~100mb/sec takes over 11 hours to transfer.

Can't wait til Sata5 comes out at 2gb/s and 2TB SSDs for $100. XD
Old November 21, 2012, 12:54 AM
Allstar

who actually transfers though?

generally, the hard drives go into a central repository where they permanently store data.
Old November 21, 2012, 12:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Overkill to some. I don't need this, and honestly for video editing, I wouldn't press my luck into a black. I could get a commercial drive for storage far cheaper in a WD Red.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:03 PM
Top Prospect

One can never have enough storage space, or spare back-up drives sitting in the drawer.
Old November 21, 2012, 10:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
who actually transfers though?

generally, the hard drives go into a central repository where they permanently store data.
I understand the point you're making, but that's what the lower models are for. I agree for every other WD line besides the Caviar Blacks, for the mere point that these are high performance drives that excel at transfer rates. (For an HDD of course)
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old November 21, 2012, 11:04 PM
Allstar

so people are wanting/buying these high-capacity drives to ACTUALLY move bulk storage (as in like 70%+ of the drive's storage)? I've always been under the impression the need for greater platter density has been solely for performance reasons.
Old November 21, 2012, 11:32 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User #2 View Post
so people are wanting/buying these high-capacity drives to ACTUALLY move bulk storage (as in like 70%+ of the drive's storage)? I've always been under the impression the need for greater platter density has been solely for performance reasons.
The performance improvements are great, but having fewer drives in a server while also providing equal or greater capacity in that same footprint is even better. Fewer drives will use less power, require less cooling, and for some is just easier to manage.
Old November 22, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

^yep, and backing up from your main disks to another set of disks then to tape gets the d2d part done fast allowing you to let the d2t portion take it's time.