Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 14, 2012, 12:12 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default 1tb velociraptor vs wd black

Hey guys,

I always thought the velociraptor drives were interesting alternative but I never considered them until I fell on the following review: Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB Review | StorageReview.com - Storage Reviews

tell me what are your thoughts on a the topic? I always though the wd BLACK would be best as a main HDD and some ssd would be good to complement.

thanks
Old November 14, 2012, 12:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Meh, I will never go back to platter drives for a main drive... SSD's have spoiled me. 512GB SSD's are already below $400 and below $350 on sale (they will be below $300 shortly), so a 1TB Velociraptor has no appeal for me considering the performance is night and day. I only consider platters for secondary storage when I need at least a few terabytes. The big issue going forward for me will be how the SSD manufacturers solve the declining performance issues as capacity increases.

Old November 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

While a velociraptor is faster than a standard drive, an ssd is too much faster to ignore. There may be a select group of people that a velociraptor may suit, but IMO its standard drive or SSD or both (depending if you storage, speed, or both). I wouldn't be able to justify the added cost of a velociraptor knowing that I could get something faster.
Old November 14, 2012, 01:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

what about longevity?

the review says that the velo is better after long term vs ssd which deteriotes after heavy read/writes??

what you think about that?
Old November 14, 2012, 01:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

basically it would be a secondary drive i would have an ssd as a main boot drive
Old November 14, 2012, 01:49 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Yes, SSD's do deteriorate in terms of performance over time but there are also tuning methodologies, and these will improve over time.

Old November 14, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

It depends on your needs. I would go with an SSD for OS and then a HDD for all the other stuff. I would like a 1TB SSD but none a even close to "cheap."

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old November 14, 2012, 06:13 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

sop basically a WD black with an SSD is the best bet?
why would the black be better than the velociraptor due simply to size for the cost? (better value)
Old November 14, 2012, 06:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well needs is best performance for the best price. So SSD main boot drive and common running apps... everything else would be on the secondary drive. so yea.... less applications but I want something very performance oriented!
Old November 14, 2012, 07:59 PM
Allstar

you only need a velociraptor for use as a scratch disk. that's pretty much the only workload that can ACTUALLY degrade an SSD in realistic scenarios.