Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2012, 02:16 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Default Wiping my computer

Hi everyone,

After thinking long and hard about selling my rig, I've decided that I'm going to do it.

Long and short, the guy is coming to buy today, and if he decides to pick it up, then I'll obviously need to wipe my computer before turning it over to him.

I have programs on my 500gb which is fine, that's easy to wipe, but how do i remove win7 off the SSD? Do I boot up a new install, have it format and then leave it at the serial key screen?

Thanks in advance.
Old November 9, 2012, 02:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you have another drive that you aren't giving him you could install an OS on it and use it to secure erase the win7 ssd. I think if you were to format the win7 ssd then use ccleaner to secure erase the ssd. This would take a while but would work. I'm not sure of any other way to properly clear your boot drive when you are using it.
Old November 9, 2012, 03:15 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Download CMRR's sani erase. extract it to a Dos bootable USB thumb drive, reboot. Run it. THEN re-initialize the SSD (run windows installer and format it...then you can stop). This will nuke the data and unless he has access to a clean room the buyer aint recovering the data (though the only 100% way is Thermite...and burn it into a puddle of goo....if you need a recipe just let me know :P). If you dont reinitialize it and he doesnt use it on the new rig he could lock up the ssd temporarily. Big old PITA. So re-initialize the drive and reformat it for him. Then you are safe and he will be happy. :)

CMRR - Secure Erase

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 9, 2012, 03:19 PM
F@H

My System Specs

And be prepared to be shocked at how fast securely wiping an SSD is..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old November 9, 2012, 03:29 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

awesome...thanks!!
Old November 9, 2012, 04:45 PM
Allstar

The utility on that website looks like it was intended for wiping magnetic media (ie HDD's), which is not an effective way to clean off an SSD.
Old November 9, 2012, 04:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Secure Erase program sends the official erase command to erase. It works. It was recommended by Intel back in the X25 gen 1 days....and by basically every mfg'er since then. The Toolboxes do the same thing...just in a windows environment instead of Dos. Once you nuke the drive with the AT secure erase command...the data is gone. This followed by a quick format ensures its GONE.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 10, 2012, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Download CMRR's sani erase. extract it to a Dos bootable USB thumb drive, reboot. Run it. THEN re-initialize the SSD (run windows installer and format it...then you can stop). This will nuke the data and unless he has access to a clean room the buyer aint recovering the data (though the only 100% way is Thermite...and burn it into a puddle of goo....if you need a recipe just let me know :P). If you dont reinitialize it and he doesnt use it on the new rig he could lock up the ssd temporarily. Big old PITA. So re-initialize the drive and reformat it for him. Then you are safe and he will be happy. :)

CMRR - Secure Erase
Just an outsider looking in, but thanks for the info.