Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2012, 10:19 PM
Allstar

Default Thunderbolt vs USB3 Large File Transfer Speeds

I seem to have trouble finding TB vs USB3 comparisons for my usecase.

Using a 1TB Seagate Backup Plus, would TB outperform USB3 for transferring movies?

all the TB tests i've seen involve raid boxes, which i firmly believe outperforms a single backup plus drive. thoughts?
Old November 8, 2012, 10:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC that Segate unit uses a single 2.5" hdd that will max out loooong before saturating either interface. So I would say the real world difference would be so close to zero that it would not matter. As long as your computer can handle the overhead AND push data fast enough either USB 3 or ThunderBolt will be more than 'good enough'.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 8, 2012, 11:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Some manufacturers are throwing it on for the novelty and ability to increase the price. USB 3 is far cheaper and will run just as well. The drive's rate would more than likely be lower than both.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:57 PM
Allstar

alright, thanks. now i know there's no reason to avoid seagate expansion drives because they only support USB3.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:32 AM
Top Prospect

I've been using USB 3.0 to backup my system to a RAID1 box, so the speeds when writing should be comparable to a single drive. With that, I usually get 80-90 MB/s while writing - which is in the right ball park for the WD Greens I have in there. So, I would say in most cases between USB 3.0, TB, and even eSATA for that matter, the drive will be what limits the performance.