Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 9, 2012, 12:30 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

LOL. Yeah its definitely on me. Seriously going on 36 hours here so my reply might have came off...douche....err...'cold'. :P

But just want to make it clear that if there is something missing always ask. No matter how 'foolish' it may sound in your head. It may lead to a great addition. DanGTX - bless his heart - suggested in his usual odd manner what became the FireFox test. It took awhile but it was a great addition to the reviews. So if there is something missing, I will try and add it in....if at all possible. No guarantees of course. :)

And yeah I think your guess is spot on. It SHOULD be one of the fastest 480s out there. Really hope Corsair or another mfg'er brings out a 16IC Toggle Mode 240GBer. Corsair has left a door open that should not have been left open. :(

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old November 9, 2012, 06:17 AM
MVP

My System Specs

As noted in the review, there's little to distinguish one Sandforce 2281 drive from another (using the same NAND type) with the arguable exception of Intel's distinctive firmware.

What I would love to see on the comparisons is a representative of each controller type, at least for drives within the same generation as the focus of the review. Sandforce, Indilinx, Marvell, Samsung and Intel all being included would make comparisons easier.

Of course, this is complicated by the four different NAND interfaces (MLC asynchronous, MLC synchronous, Toggle and TLC) currently used; the result could be a painfully large chart. In either case, what would be of help would be to label the results by controller and NAND type, rather than a model name. For those who don't deal with these drives on a regular basis, keeping track of what models carry which controller and NAND combination requires searching out older reviews to identify each drive's internals. For clarity, the test setup page could specify what specific drive is representing each combination, or have an average result for a class (e.g. SF2281 with Toggle NAND).

-------------
Side note: Conclusion page, second paragraph under the Neutron GTX 240GB subtitle, second sentence is a little garbled.
Quote:
There’s genre-defining performance in nearly every benchmark despite its sub-$250 asking price despite a slight misstep when it drive actually has some data on it.
Old November 9, 2012, 06:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default ^SIG

LOL

Love the review thanks :)
Old November 9, 2012, 07:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

thanks as always for your tireless efforts AkG.
I still can't claim to understand 1/10 of whats presented in your analysis,
but I really do appreciate that you stick in real world apps like Sata2 and Vista tests.
Old November 10, 2012, 04:42 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Good idea. Thank you!

I will try and break it down in the Test Method page for peeps. Probably wont cover ALL the basses and have some overlap on NAND type (most common is ONFi 2...with good reason) but will see what I can do to cover as many as possible.

IMHO, the only time people should be looking at ONFi 1 NAND drives is when price is their only concern. The trade offs are just so big. Of course there are always exceptions and as they pop up I will try and keep them in the charts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
As noted in the review, there's little to distinguish one Sandforce 2281 drive from another (using the same NAND type) with the arguable exception of Intel's distinctive firmware.

What I would love to see on the comparisons is a representative of each controller type, at least for drives within the same generation as the focus of the review. Sandforce, Indilinx, Marvell, Samsung and Intel all being included would make comparisons easier.

Of course, this is complicated by the four different NAND interfaces (MLC asynchronous, MLC synchronous, Toggle and TLC) currently used; the result could be a painfully large chart. In either case, what would be of help would be to label the results by controller and NAND type, rather than a model name. For those who don't deal with these drives on a regular basis, keeping track of what models carry which controller and NAND combination requires searching out older reviews to identify each drive's internals. For clarity, the test setup page could specify what specific drive is representing each combination, or have an average result for a class (e.g. SF2281 with Toggle NAND).

-------------
Side note: Conclusion page, second paragraph under the Neutron GTX 240GB subtitle, second sentence is a little garbled.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr