Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 6, 2012, 08:04 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default OCZ Agility 4 256GB SSD Review Comment Thread

OCZ's new Agility 4 SSD is meant to combine a high performance Everest 2 controller with mid-tier NAND to create a drive that competes against some of the best around without costing a fortune. However, at $180, the Agility 4 has been parachuted into a very cluttered market segment which holds several alternatives.

Read more here: OCZ Agility 4 256GB SSD Review
Old November 6, 2012, 11:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Nice potential upgrade for a home machine, but I would not stick this one in my work machine.

Just a bit of info from Dailytech:
Quote:
OCZ reports that it has taken steps to make its business more efficient and profitable by beginning end-of-life procedures that will see the discontinuation of approximately 150 product variations the company offers right now. A significant impact will be felt in the value category of the company's offerings with approximately 80% of those products being discontinued.
Source: DailyTech - OCZ Reduces Global Workforce by 28%, Offers Update on Business Outlook

So will this have an effect on Agility 4?
Old November 7, 2012, 05:29 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

No, all current SSD lines will remain in place. Going forward however, expect less SSD lines for the mass market. IMO, the cash cows like the Vertex and Agility series will remain in place. Cache drives will likely be cut from the lineup along with some lower-end offerings.
Old November 8, 2012, 12:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

R&D will continue to develop alternatives, but don't expect them to hit market as easily as they did before. Viability for the company is what they'll look at and current failings will be addressed. One may see a mass markett cost drop on a lot of the discontinued items though. May be something to keep an eye out for when they describe their trimmed product line more thoroughly