Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 1, 2012, 06:19 AM
Top Prospect

Default SSDs and SATA1

I am considering a hard drive upgrade to my laptop (Fujitsu P770). Currently there is a WD Black 750Gb drive installed.

Swapping in an SSD should give better performance as well as better battery life and far more shock resistance.

The laptop is used for DJing and video and photo editing. Therefore, space is needed - the smallest I can get away with is 480Gb, with 512Gb being preferred. I may need to install a second SSD in the future as well - which is possible, since the optical drive has been swapped for a second hard drive by (el cheapo from the far east). This works with the P770 - I had two 750Gb drives installed and running at one point, and it worked very well.

The laptop boots both XP and Win7 Ultimate 64bit. I need to keep XP because my DJ software does not run under Vista or Win7.

I am looking at the following:
Intel 520 series 480Gb
Samsung 830 series 512Gb
Samsung 840 series 500Gb
Crucial M4 512Gb

However, the laptop has SATAI (SATA 1). All current SSDs are SATAIII.

Will there be issues with attaching an SATAIII SSD to a SATA1 port (beyond the lack of full performanced, of course!)?

Will XP be able to use the SSD without issue?

Thanks in advance!
Old November 1, 2012, 06:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Make sure you get an SSD that has its own garbage collection since TRIM isn't supported in XP, and probably isn't supported on your laptops chipset. The SSDs you listed should all work just fine, just be aware that you'll be limited to 150MB/s reads & writes.
Old November 1, 2012, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by supaflyx3 View Post
Make sure you get an SSD that has its own garbage collection since TRIM isn't supported in XP, and probably isn't supported on your laptops chipset. The SSDs you listed should all work just fine, just be aware that you'll be limited to 150MB/s reads & writes.
TRIM is a function of the chipset? I was not aware of this. Given the age of the P770, I would not expect it to support TRIM in that case....the P770 uses the Mobile Intel QS57 Express chipset. Guess I need to do a bit more research......

Drop in speed is unavoidable, given the SATA1 interface. I was more concerned with compatibility and reliability and low power drain than speed....the upside is that I don't need to buy the latest and greatest and fastest SSD, since the laptop will never see the extra speed!
Old November 1, 2012, 11:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

From what I've read TRIM is enabled when AHCI is enabled in the BIOS but the OS has to support it as well.
Old November 1, 2012, 11:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

In this particular circumstance, I would recommend the Crucial M4 512GB... I've seen it on sale for around $350 lately. I'm too lazy to look up the controller/chipset on that laptop but some of them will clock SATA2 or SATA3 SSD drives down to SATA1 speeds anyway. Even so, you'll still see a good improvement and for DJing I find SSDs mandatory since HDDs have moving parts and that is a recipe for disaster in the literally fast-moving DJ business.

Old November 1, 2012, 01:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I would suggest something that has a solid ITGC or even since the Computer is more legacy than anything else a Crucial V4 would fit the bill for you. And its cost is probably better than the higher performing items.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 2, 2012, 06:37 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks to those who have suggested the Crucial M4. My research seems to indicate that this drive, the Samsung 830, and the Muskin Chronos Deluxe are about the most reliable on the market.

Some newer drives, such as the Intel 520 and the Samsung 840, may be as good but they are either much more expensive (in $$ as well as $/Gb) or too new to know.

NCIX has a REALLY good price on the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 480Gb just now. Might need to go for a drive at lunchtime.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
From what I've read TRIM is enabled when AHCI is enabled in the BIOS but the OS has to support it as well.
From what I have read about the Intel Mobile QS57 chipset, TRIM is not enabled. There was a BIOS upgrade that did support TRIM, but that BIOS was never offically released by Intel.

Therefore, there seems to be three things needed for TRIM:
Chipset support
AHCI enabled
OS support

I have two of the three when running Win7, and one of the three when running XP, on the Fujitsu P770 laptop. Guess that will have to do.....

This also means that garbage collection efficiency - it is can be determined should be part of my selection criteria.

Last edited by Soultribunal; November 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM.
Old November 2, 2012, 11:26 AM
F@H

My System Specs

SInce you need good ITGC, the V4 or the Chronos were what was recommended to me on an XP system.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old November 2, 2012, 11:41 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
SInce you need good ITGC, the V4 or the Chronos were what was recommended to me on an XP system.
Picked up a 480Gb Chronos at lunchtime today, from NCIX Mississauga.

I asked about the drive's reliability, and the clerk stated that they had never had one returned as far as he know. About what I have read elsewhere for the most part.

Now the fun part, backup up the stuff that is not going onto the drive (it is replacing a 750Gb WD Black), then getting the OS and important stuff moved over.

Acronis, here I come!
Old November 2, 2012, 06:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Just make sure it's a newer version of Acronis. Acronis from 2011 will not set up your SSD with the proper 4K alignment. Verify if your alignment is okay with AS SSD.