Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 3, 2012, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perineum View Post
Just make sure it's a newer version of Acronis.
Using the latest download from the WD site - I have a WD 750Gb Black, so it runs.

However, it does not work. It seems to think there is a damaged file someplace - getting the following:
Error code 10, extended code 458,777, "File Record Corrupted".

Only problem is that it does NOT tell you which file. I have run chkdsk /f /r on all drives, and although they found an couple of issues at first, they find no problems now. However, Acronis still does not work.

Tried doing a restore from a backup done by Windows Home Server V1. However, I don't seem to have the right network drivers, so that didn't work.

Now looking at Norton Ghost.
Old November 3, 2012, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

try using a real version of Acronis 2013 True Image
Old November 4, 2012, 02:29 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfielder View Post
From what I have read about the Intel Mobile QS57 chipset, TRIM is not enabled. There was a BIOS upgrade that did support TRIM, but that BIOS was never offically released by Intel.

Therefore, there seems to be three things needed for TRIM:
Chipset support
AHCI enabled
OS support

I have two of the three when running Win7, and one of the three when running XP, on the Fujitsu P770 laptop. Guess that will have to do.....

This also means that garbage collection efficiency - it is can be determined should be part of my selection criteria.
Ah! I did not realize the chipset needed to support it as well. Do they make SATA III controllers that you can plug into the PCI/e slot?
Old November 4, 2012, 09:31 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
Ah! I did not realize the chipset needed to support it as well. Do they make SATA III controllers that you can plug into the PCI/e slot?
Yes they do. HighPoint, Promise, Startech, LSI, Adaptec - even Silverstone. Just do a search for SATA 3 PCIe on your favorite hardware dealer's web site and you should get a number of hits.
Old November 5, 2012, 06:15 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
PCIe slot on a legacy 12" laptop? Are you sure this is the question you wanted to ask?
Old November 5, 2012, 06:25 AM
Top Prospect

Current status of my efforts:

1> removed the WD 750Gb Black and installed the Chronos SSD. Laptop recognizes it fine. This was a test, so the WD was put back in.

2> the WD version of Acronis True Image continues to abort due to a damaged file. chkdsk /f /r does not find any errors on any of the three partitions. Windows 7 does not report any issues of any kind. Nothing in Acronis provides any details as to what file is damaged.

I have done a bit more research on this, and it is an issue others have encountered, including having chkdsk not resolve the issue. One user reported that running spinrite fixed everything - I am considering this, but am hesitant to use a 2004 product that has not been updated on a drive that has been partitioned and formatted with Win7. I need confirmation that spinrite is compatible.

3> latest version of Norton Ghost does not even see the WD 750Gb drive! Then again, I installed it on my main machine, and it does not see the drives on that system either - Intel 330series 240Gb SSD, 150GB Velociraptor, and 300Gb Velociraptor. Ghost used to be one of the nicest utilities I used - what have they done????

4> my preferred route would be to install the new drive and do a restore from the back done by Windows Home Server. However, I have yet to find the correct network drivers that let the restore see the server! I have the correct drivers for XP, Win7 32bit and Win7 64bit, but it does not seem to like any of those. I was able to find the Wifi drivers, but that did not work since it never allowed me to connect to my Wifi network. There are one or two more variations I can try with this approach, so I am going to proceed with this next.

Someone suggested using a real version of Acronis, rather than the WD version. I can give this a try, but I don't see why it would work - a damaged file is a damaged file.

Overall, a rather frustrating weekend.

The laptop runs very well and has been a real workhorse. As a DJ tool running XP it has done many long events without issue. For general use, and video editing using Premiere Pro CS6, it worked as well as a 12" laptop with Intel video can be expeced to work. Battery life is good - even fully loaded with max RAM and a 750Gb drive, I can get up to five hours (much less when heavily used, of course).

Why this current project has encountered so many roadblocks is beyond understanding. My way of working out the frustration was to spend over four hours mulching leaves yesterday!
Old November 5, 2012, 11:50 AM
Allstar

Oops. missed that this is a laptop. A Laptop with a PCIe connector?
Old December 10, 2012, 03:49 AM
Top Prospect

A quick update on this discussion.

Picked up an Intel 520 series 480Gb SSD from NCIX's Black Friday sale. Decided that my laptop should be all Intel, so did some swapping around.

Duped the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe onto the Intel, then installed the Intel as the boot drive in my laptop (Fujitsu P770).

Duped from the Intel 330 series 240Gb boot drive in my main system, onto the Mushkin, then installed the Mushkin as the boot drive in my main system.

Then installed the 240Gb Intel as the second drive in my laptop, giving a total of 720Gb storage. A little less than the 750Gb provided by the WD Black drive, but more than sufficient.

Ran the Windows Experience Index on my main system. The Primary Hard Drive number dropped by .1, from 7.9 to 7.8, when I went from the Intel 330 series SSD to the Mushkin Chronos Deluxe SSD. Hardly enough to matter, but I was surprised that the WEI could even measure the difference.

The laptop is running well. Have not had a chance to see how battery life compares yet.
Old March 17, 2013, 02:59 AM
Trial Member

..so this thread is sort of old but it's the only point of call I have found.

I, too, own a Fujitsu P770 and am at the stage where 128GB is simply not enough for my needs...Hence I have considered the following two:

- Buying a 1TB-2TB 2.5" HDD (even if I go for a 7200rpm one I am sure to feel the drop in operating speed...)
-Replacing it with a 512GB SSD...

Now as far as I understand this Laptop only supports SATA I whilst most new SSDs are SATA III compliant, hence there is no point looking out for the fastest SSD because I will be limited to SATA I transfer rates anyway.

Having read this thread a third option opened up for me, though. You say that you replaced the optical drive with a second HDD. May I ask how you went about that? Yes, the connector is the same, but what keeps it in place/closes the bay etc.

Looking forward to your reply
Thanks in advance
Old March 17, 2013, 07:46 AM
Allstar

Many laptops have removeable optical drives and the manufacturers make trays/doors that hold another HDD to replace the optical drive. Not all laptops do however. Using a SATA 1 interface, the only real benefit to using an SSD would be reduced power consumption and possibly native encryption. I doubt you'de see much speed difference compared to a modern mechanical drive. In this case the drive interface is the "bottleneck".