Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 27, 2012, 02:45 PM
Rookie

Default SSD isn't being recognized

EDIT: Sorry, ignore this question. I finally got it to work. NEVERMIND! Ah, this is frustrating. I posted a new problem in the post below. Gah!

Hey all. I'm trying to update the firmware on my new Kingston HyperX SSD ó SH103S3 before installing it into my new computer, but it isn't being recognized when I use the Kingston firmware update program (or at all, I think).

I basically just plugged the SSD into my current computer via the SATA plug and power.

I tried it on a Ubuntu machine, and I did turn it to AHCI in BIOS, though I'm not entirely sure i did it correctly...

Am I missing something? Thanks!

Last edited by AJR; October 27, 2012 at 04:51 PM.
Old October 27, 2012, 04:50 PM
Rookie

I gotta admit, this is super frustrating.

So I can't get the drive to show up with the firmware updater on my linux machine. And on my old XP machine (the one I'm building this new computer to replace) the updater seems to freeze my system.

To make matters worse, the firmware upgrade can only be completed by plugging it into a different computer than the one you're using to run your OS, so I can't even simply finish my build and *then* update it either!

I'm at a loss. I'm thinking of just skipping the firmware upgrade altogether. Someone told me I should do it before installing the OS, and I understand why, but I donít see it happening....which sorta sucks.

Any suggestions?
Old October 27, 2012, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Does the drive show up in the BIOS? In windows or linux as just another drive? You probably need to format it so that it will show up as a visible drive in windows. Then try the updater again. Hopefully the drive isn't bricked from a bad firmware flash.

edit: not sure if you got it working or what but anyways...

Last edited by dandelioneater; October 27, 2012 at 06:34 PM. Reason: oops
Old October 27, 2012, 07:25 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioneater View Post
Does the drive show up in the BIOS? In windows or linux as just another drive? You probably need to format it so that it will show up as a visible drive in windows. Then try the updater again. Hopefully the drive isn't bricked from a bad firmware flash.

edit: not sure if you got it working or what but anyways...
Eesh...I dunno yet. I decided to stick it into the new build since I could get the firmware update to work, but I haven't had time to try installing the OS yet. I guess if the OS install fails, I'll know the SSD is no good?

I sure hope I didn't screw the drive up by trying to update the firmware. The way my luck is going, that'll be the case.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:35 PM
MVP

My System Specs

when you try to install OS, only have that single SSD plugged in.
I've screwed up a couple install attempts buy having both SSD and storage drives attached.

as for the firmware, you could try putting your new OS on a reg HDD first,
then adding the SSD... running firmware and then do another OS install back to the SSD.
Old October 27, 2012, 07:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
when you try to install OS, only have that single SSD plugged in.
I've screwed up a couple install attempts buy having both SSD and storage drives attached.

as for the firmware, you could try putting your new OS on a reg HDD first,
then adding the SSD... running firmware and then do another OS install back to the SSD.
One problem...I think I need to have my old HDD plugged in because it has the XP OS on it, and I'm installing Win7 using an "update disk." I was told that I could still install win& to the SSD with the upgrade disk even if the old OS is on a different drive, but I imagine I'll have to have both plugged in...correct?

Any tips to keep from messing up the install with both drives plugged in? Or am I wrong in thinking both have to be plugged in?

Also, Die Antwoord, hell yeah!
Old October 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
MVP

My System Specs

sorry mate. I don't know how that's gunna work.
I've only ever used full verison WIN7 install dvd.
just give it a go with it all plugged in and see what happens.
good luck, Yolandi!
Old October 28, 2012, 07:09 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungwirez View Post
sorry mate. I don't know how that's gunna work.
I've only ever used full verison WIN7 install dvd.
just give it a go with it all plugged in and see what happens.
good luck, Yolandi!
Thanks. Taking the plunge today. Fingers crossed.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:51 AM
Rookie

Well, so far so good. The SSD was recognized by the windows installer. I partitioned 78 GB for windows, leaving ~35GB for Mint later on. The update disk hasn't given me any problem yet (knock on wood). The only downside is of course I never did get the firmware updated. :-/ I can still do it afterwards, but it involves uninstalling an plugging it into a different computer, which gives me the same problem as before really. Hell, if it works, I don't care much. :-p
Old October 28, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

sometimes the firmware updaters will not recognize the drives if they are on their respective controllers and the original drivers installed, for example Marvell. Uninstalling the driver and leaving the generic MSAHCI driver will solve the issue. This is how I manged to update 2 OCZs and one Mushkin that were not being recognized.