Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 19, 2012, 11:30 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Worried about original ocz vertex 120gb failing

I have seen some many bad reviews/comments about ocz drives in general and am worried about this older ssd failing, it is not currently in use, somebody gave it to me free when I was thinking about purchasing an ssd for my system, now I am happy with my 128 Samsung 830 in both my MacBook and my home desktop. My other desktop however is currently using the 5400 rpm drive from my MacBook and this is extremely slow, so I was considering cloning that drive to the ssd(after defragging, cleaning up, turning off hibernation, etc.) the computer doesn't stay on I shut it down when I am finished with it. It would not be tragic if it failed, I only have windows and borderlands 2 and skyrim on the computer it would go into (may add diablo 3 maybe deus ex) but these games use cloud game save storage so if the drive failed I simply could go back to the mechanical drive let steam update the games and files and pick up where I left off (wouldn't even need to back things up really right?). So should I be worried about it? Or should I just do it and if it fails it fails and I go back to the slow mechanical drive? If I wanted to back up I could boot off of the ssd leave the os installed on the hdd but have it back up to the hdd anyway, but I don't really see the point of backing up with my usage for that computer.
Old October 19, 2012, 01:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

My Vertex 60GB failed a couple months ago after about 2 years of usage.

So really, it depends how heavily used it was prior to you getting it. I would grab the OCZ Toolbox and wipe the drive along with updating to the latest firmware.

As long as you don't save anything super important on it, I wouldn't worry much.
Old October 19, 2012, 02:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Yeah it wouldn't be tragic and nothing important would be on it and I would still have the same (not updated) stuff on the mechanical drive.... No idea how much he used it
Old October 20, 2012, 06:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I went ahead and updated firmware and secure erased the ssd. Checked with ssdlife and it says 52% health, still a safe bet? the only things ill be writing to is borderlands 2 save game updates, dlcs, dropbox files, and windows updates
Old October 20, 2012, 04:24 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarwiz23 View Post
I went ahead and updated firmware and secure erased the ssd. Checked with ssdlife and it says 52% health, still a safe bet? the only things ill be writing to is borderlands 2 save game updates, dlcs, dropbox files, and windows updates
If you resize your partition so there's empty space, it might help it last a bit longer.

Hard to really say how long it'll last though.
Old October 20, 2012, 05:53 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My V1 died after about 2 years also. I wouldn't put any critical data on it or at least backup regularly. I've had about 8 or 10 SSD's (4 currently in operation) and the V1 was the only one that every died on me.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old October 20, 2012, 10:28 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

All good info, I won't have anything critical like I said it wouldn't be hard to go back to the hdd. Once I have money free to upgrade again I may pick up another Samsung 830 or maybe an intel 330 or crucial m4( whatever is well priced)