Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 12:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Do size matters

a small question guys does size matters in terms of performance ex:corsair force series 3 240gb will perform better than 120 if yes why& by how much .
Old October 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I think in real life numbers size does not matter.

on paper it seems to make a difference but how much will you notice ?

here is a comparison of the Samsung 830 drives ranging from 128, 256 and 512
Old October 16, 2012, 01:43 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Sometimes. It depends on whether the board is fully populated with NAND chips. Some manufacturers use the same size NAND chips for all their drive sizes and just vary how many they put on the board. eg, 4, 8, 12 or 16 chips. This affects the bandwidth of the throughput.

In all cases, I doubt you'd be able to tell the difference in real world day to day use. SSD's are so much faster than HDD's that's all you'll notice, rather than the incremental difference between SSD's.
Old October 16, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quick and dirty answer...yes size does matter....BUT only up to a certain point. Ever gen of NAND has a performance sweet spot (number of 'layers', density, etc). When you go above it, the performance goes down, and when you go below it...bingo it also goes down. Newer controllers have minimized the difference on the large end but when it comes to smaller drives...yes they are still slower. AND each controller is different...Sammy 830 are not exactly power houses so the dif is smaller than SF2281, etc etc.

It gets complicated when comparing quad die pack ICs to dual dies when the dual has twice the number of ICs (ie 8 NAND of more 'layers' vs 16 of fewer layers)....but usually the 16ICs are faster. BUT it depends on the controller and type of nand....and etc etc etc. For example a Neutron 240GB has 16 ONFi 2 ICs. The Neutron GTX 'only' has 8...but the 8 are 24nm Toggle Mode NAND. No contest, the GTX is faster. IF they come out with a GS with 16 Toggle ICs...it probably will be faster again, but no guarantees.... maybe the Amber controller's interleaving sweet spot is 8 w/ quad die pkg ICs.

My recommendation...look at the charts. Dont worry about brand names just controller and NAND type. I - like most honest reviewers - will state the NAND type and the setup (eg 4/8/16 ICs) and controller.

With this gen it is the 240-256GB that is the sweet spot for most controllers (the Everest 2 controller (Vertex 4) prefers the 512GB density to 256GB). Last gen it was 120GB. Gen before 60. Next gen...probably 512. Is the difference overly large....again yes and no. Its a couple seconds. If that matters to you then it will be important. IF you are used to slow hdds (eg SAS 15K or Vraptor 1TB or slower)...then no. The SSD will will blazing fast. All depends on your POV and expereince with SSDs. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2012, 02:30 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

i am looking to buy a 240 gb ssd for around 200$
Old October 16, 2012, 03:34 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Kinda hard to recommend one as I am on the wrong side of well...not just the pond but the world. However, over here a SanDisk Extreme 240GB goes for about 170. Add in taxes and the like and it would come in under 2 bills. All depends on where you are and what India's prices are like. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr