Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Amid Investigations & Investor Angst, OCZís Stock Plummets

SSD manufacturer OCZ has been on a rollercoaster ride as of late, and the situation is getting substantially worse with allegations of securities fraud and numerous investigations.

At the beginning of 2012, OCZ Technologiesí outlook was rosy. Their stock was on an upswing (it hit a peak of $9.41, valuing the company at over $600 million), order quantities were strong, demand for their solid state drives was increasing and revenue projections looked very promising. Some wondered if the growth was sustainable but OCZ continually beat the streetís expectations and investors were happy.

Read more here: Amid Investigations & Investor Angst, OCZ’s Stock Plummets | Hardware Canucks
Old October 15, 2012, 12:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Although I never did like there choices for PSU's and I voiced that clearly. They otherwise were a good company to deal with for SSDs' and such. Would be a shame if the industry lost them,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old October 15, 2012, 12:35 PM
Allstar

The industry may lose a player but their patents will get picked up for sure. Makes you wonder if they got enough cash in the bank to either fight the lawsuit or pay the settlements.

There have been so many pet projects at OCZ, I keep wondering how this lasted so long:

- Peripherals
- Graphics cards
- Coolers
- Custom PCs
- Power supplies
- SSDs
- Memory
- Flash drives
- NAS devices

Of those, TWO are still around...

I'm pretty sure there were some others too.
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I think that with the stock prices dropping if a person had the spare funds that it would be a close time to play with those stocks
Old October 15, 2012, 12:41 PM
Top Prospect

OCZ has made some quality components over the years, now may be the time for Seagate or someone else to buy the company. The loss of OCZ shouldn't have an enormous impact, nevertheless it's still hard to watch a guy get kicked when he's down, even if they put themselves in that position.
Old October 15, 2012, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceBooth View Post
OCZ has made some quality components over the years, now may be the time for Seagate or someone else to buy the company. The loss of OCZ shouldn't have an enormous impact, nevertheless it's still hard to watch a guy get kicked when he's down, even if they put themselves in that position.
The issue with a buy is quite simple: outside of the enthusiast PC community, the name OCZ has zero brand awareness. Plus, with the way the class action lawsuits are piling up, I doubt any larger company would want to take them on right now.
Old October 15, 2012, 01:26 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The issue with a buy is quite simple: outside of the enthusiast PC community, the name OCZ has zero brand awareness. Plus, with the way the class action lawsuits are piling up, I doubt any larger company would want to take them on right now.
I agree that the risks may far exceed the benefits of buying them out, yet I can't help but think that now would be the time to do so for another storage company looking to expand, or diversify. Irregardless of what happens, I doubt the loss of OCZ will have a major impact on the SSD landscape going forward.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:56 AM

Small update: the stock opened at $1.30 this morning and is down to $1.28 right now. That represents another 11% reduction in the company's value...overnight.
Old October 16, 2012, 08:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Small update: the stock opened at $1.30 this morning and is down to $1.28 right now. That represents another 11% reduction in the company's value...overnight.

Damn. I guess this is still going to hemmorage some more before they file?

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com