Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 16, 2012, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

What is really sad is that there are still plenty of OCZ parts in the retail chain that the uninformed will continue to buy that will have no warranty protection. Think BFG.
Old October 16, 2012, 09:27 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

With the reported loss it'll be hard to recover especially with the investigation and the delayed filing. If they can recoup or find less of a loss than what they expected, they may be able to salvage. It may never operate properly again. If the corporate ladder is a determined bunch, they may climb out of it.
Old October 16, 2012, 10:44 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

From my understanding, OCZ isn't carrying all that much debt. As such, they likely won't file for bankruptcy for the time being.

Last edited by SugarJ; October 16, 2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old October 16, 2012, 11:18 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I wouldnt count OCZ out yet. They have some great IP and some very good engineers working for them. If they can work out their management issues in time, they should be able to bounce back. But damage has been done to their brand. Whether or not they can survive THAT is another question all together as you are only as good as your name in this industry. :(

I will be rooting for them as they are an innovative company who have done more than any other company to make SSDs a mainstream option for consumers. Before the Vertex 1 not many knew about SSDs and those that did....didnt like the main JM option.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old October 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
Top Prospect

OCZ is sitting on plenty of cash, I'd doubt they'd fall over. Worst comes to worse, sell off all non-performing assets, plump up their balance sheets and at this price, a deal would be made in no time. The patents, sandforce and various other licenses, tax-breaks and credits and the cash would be very attractive to many big companies.

Looking at their BS they have 92mil in cash for a company (compared to <20mil last year). Tax breaks and credits for the past 2 years plush cash can easily cover up and over the companies debt.

It does truly look like they're trying to plump themselves out for a buyout.

Last edited by geoc; October 16, 2012 at 11:48 AM.