Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 13, 2012, 10:14 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default which types of files are good on a SSD drive

my first SSD which is a kingston 64GB is still working good but I have accidently broke the plastic around the sata pins so I don't use that SSD but I want to put it to good use ( I am using a 120 intel SSD now as main drive). I am just wondering what would be a good use for the SSD? pagefiling tmp files? I want to use its speed.
You see I have read so many different things about SSDs and I am thinking that some of them is not true people saying that to have pagefiles on a SSD wares it out faster , at first I believed this but now I am thinking that wouldn't it be better to have page files and other things on an SSD .
anyways I am just curious on your thoughts and suggestions on this
Old October 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
Allstar

SSD's do have a finite lifespan based on the number of times the cells are written to. Eventually after enough write (including erase) cycles the cell just cannot reliably be used. Built in wear leveling helps distribute the writes across the drive to minimize the effects but eventually it will not be able to. Using SSD's for swap will shorten their effective life. By how much is a different question. Many drives used specifically for cache or swap such as some Intel models use SLC chips rather than the cheaper and more common MLC variety because they are both faster and have a longer wriite life.
Old October 13, 2012, 01:38 PM
Top Prospect

You've already got the SSD, use it. I also use an SSD to host my pagefile, Photoshop scratch disk and it works great, although I have more than enough system RAM that it's rarely used. Even with constant use (R/W's) it should last a few years, or at least until you decide to upgrade. People have become so concerned about wearing out their drives, that they use them for nothing more than the OS and a few games or Apps. Why leave anything on the table?
Old October 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceBooth View Post
Even with constant use (R/W's) it should last a few years
reads don't have limited cycles; just the writes
Old October 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
Allstar

I think the hesitancy most people have is a combination of three basic factors combined with teh cost of the drives.

1) in all honesty most people don't make proper backups so if the drive fails they're usually SOL.
2) mechanical drives usually (though not always) provide some warning before they fail giving you time to preserve contents. Even at failure they can sometimes be coaxed back into life long enough to retrieve at least some of the data.
3) most SSD's (in my experience) when they do fail it is suddenly and without warning and it is usually impossible to recover anything when they do.

As always YMMV.
Old October 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

the intel SSD I have right now is an RMA becasue the lastone just stopped no rime or reason I woke up turned on my moniter andhad an error on my screen so I rebooted and I had know drive lol, .