Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 14, 2012, 12:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The company model is sound, the PR is what faulted the company. The product is good, but they pushed the boundaries too much with their losses. I wouldn't put it past a larger entity walking up and buying the faulting company. There are rumours of Western Digital and Seagate, but who's to say another doesn't just step into the foray with deeper pockets. The technology that OCZ has could be used in various ways in making a hardware manufacturer. Why not ASuS, Gigabyte? They have technology that can easily be integrated.
Old October 14, 2012, 01:10 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

If you ask me it was all downhill once they got out of the memory business. I loved their memory and high binnings. I especially fondly remember the VX series ram and how much abuse they could take while giving great rewards. Putting all your eggs in the SSD market when it has so little share overall makes it a HUGE mistake. Has market saturation even hit 10% for SSD's yet? I'd be surprised if it were even 5%. Don't even get me started on things like the failed from the start Cryo-Z which also cost them a ton of cash/credibility when they received pallets of rusted junk units from China.

If they were to revive their memory line, focus hard on building a decent PSU and continue with SSD development I would say they have a chance. In their current state, it is only a matter of time as you can only bleed so much blood.....
Old October 14, 2012, 02:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
If you ask me it was all downhill once they got out of the memory business. I loved their memory and high binnings. I especially fondly remember the VX series ram and how much abuse they could take while giving great rewards. Putting all your eggs in the SSD market when it has so little share overall makes it a HUGE mistake. Has market saturation even hit 10% for SSD's yet? I'd be surprised if it were even 5%. Don't even get me started on things like the failed from the start Cryo-Z which also cost them a ton of cash/credibility when they received pallets of rusted junk units from China.

If they were to revive their memory line, focus hard on building a decent PSU and continue with SSD development I would say they have a chance. In their current state, it is only a matter of time as you can only bleed so much blood.....
If you ask me .... between the damage they took for the bad mir's/failed units OCZ left the memory market at the right time cause the ONLY way they would have been able to sell there ram was for insainly almost below manufactoring cost for the modual itself to sell it. Believe me I luved OCZ's ram & the looks of it as well .... BUT just look at the market right now .... even IF they would have stayed sellin ram ... there are too many companies selling ram now ..... even generic "sleeper" ram from samsung would be what they'd have to sell at.

I agree with the other poster ..... IF WD or Seagate ever got there mitts on OCZ & there SSD assets they'd hold a BIG footstep vs the other ..... Makes me wonder what 1 of those seagate hybreds with a 2-4 tb physical & 60-120 gig ssd buffer would be like ...
Old October 14, 2012, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I doubt they'd allow so easily a company like WD or Seagate to walk in the doors and take the company over. Let alone any other. They're under investigation still. Freezing the company assets and running a full sweep amid the market drop is the logical step to determine where and how this occurred. Who knows before it's a company that can be sold? During this time they "might" be able to dig a ramp of which to crawl out of. I'm weighing the options as to how they'll fair. My honest thoughts are finding that OCZ will be a dying company that something larger will buy out. Corporate might have expected this; we may never know. I don't want to see the market get thinner, but that may happen, or it may just entice something bigger than WD or Seagate. I'm thinking the latter.
Old October 14, 2012, 02:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quite frankly, I'm not sure OCZ has anything that another company would be all that interested in ATM.

As it stands, (IMO) the only product they produce which has a good reputation is their SSD line, and that market is so saturated that the OCZ name wouldn't honestly mean all that much.

What other product do they have which currently has a good name attached to it? PC P&C is apparently putting out some reasonably good units these days, but OCZ destroyed that name when they initially put their own crappy stamp on it (rather than taking a working product and letting it continue on as it was) and it will probably never regain it's prominence now that other manufacturers have learned that users are willing to pay a premium for a well built PSU.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP