Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Best SSD With $100 Budget (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/57069-best-ssd-100-budget.html)

neoxide October 3, 2012 08:43 PM

Best SSD With $100 Budget

Looking for an SSD from Newegg.

- Must be within $100 budget
- 120GB capacity

Going to be putting at least Windows 7 and Guild Wars 2 onto the SSD. Must meet both requirements above, period. Looking mainly for experience on which brands are better within this price range.

dandelioneater October 3, 2012 09:08 PM

Buy Intel [SSDSC2CW120A3K5] Intel 520 Series 120GB 2.5IN SSD MLC 25nm SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive Retail w/ Mounting Bracket

$116.52. Pricematch it at memory express for additional savings.

neoxide October 3, 2012 10:12 PM

Okay... Now can someone give me a product that is within a $100 budget?

Literally every time I've asked a budget based hardware question, someone goes beyond the budget. I don't care about the extra performance for the few dollars more, I have a strict budget, please respect it.

SugarJ October 3, 2012 10:30 PM

That drive is worth the extra $16 plus tax. Trust me. Scrounge it from wherever you can.

ilya October 3, 2012 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoxide (Post 659499)
Okay... Now can someone give me a product that is within a $100 budget?

Literally every time I've asked a budget based hardware question, someone goes beyond the budget. I don't care about the extra performance for the few dollars more, I have a strict budget, please respect it.

If you have a budget that strict forget the 120GB and go for a lower capacity Intel drive.

There are plenty of faster and cheaper drives out there, but few are as reliable with good provisioning as the Intel drives. A game like Guild Wars 2 would require a ton of writes on an SSD, if you're on that tight a budget it's not worth going for another drive.

Bloodystumps October 3, 2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neoxide (Post 659481)
Looking for an SSD from Newegg.

- Must be within $100 budget
- 120GB capacity

Going to be putting at least Windows 7 and Guild Wars 2 onto the SSD. Must meet both requirements above, period. Looking mainly for experience on which brands are better within this price range.

I'm thinking that $116 is "within a $100 budget" besides being a good performer that drive has a 5 year warranty .

So besides missing the "budget" he missed that is has to be from newegg ?

the cheapest 120 drive on newegg is $84 Canadian with $10.92 HST and then shipping so anything I would suggest would brake your budget .

BryceBooth October 3, 2012 11:36 PM

While in the SSD section of Newegg, select your desired 120GB or 128GB capacity, select "sort by: highest price" and scroll down the list until you find a drive within your budget. Look for a SATA III drive, and take the reviews with a grain of salt. The Samsung 830 128GB drives have recently dropped in price, and you will probably get a good sale on them that will fit within your budget as they have frequently been below $100. They are solid drives with a decent warranty. Otherwise, it may be worth your while to check out some cache drives as well, they won't perform as well across the board but will give your system a little boost.

yamawho October 4, 2012 04:49 AM

100.17 retail box with free shipping.
Intel 520 Series 120GB 2.5IN SSD MLC 25nm SATA3 Solid State Disk Drive Retail w/ Mounting Bracket - DirectCanada

b1lk1 October 4, 2012 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yamawho (Post 659523)

I see $110.17, not $100.17.

Soultribunal October 4, 2012 05:55 AM

Since you need specifics, I need a few too.

Newegg USA or newegg Canada?
Can it be from somewhere else if the drive is within budget?

Mushkin Chronos 120GB 2.5IN SATA3 SandForce SF-2281 SSD Solid State Disk Flash Drive

That is well within your spec range, and its actually a decent drive with toggle NAND (learning all thsee things from the SSD master here at HWC).

-ST