Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Anyone ever used a backplane (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/57045-anyone-ever-used-backplane.html)

bonanza2000 October 2, 2012 11:49 AM

Anyone ever used a backplane

Anyone ever used a backplane like this one to allow you to hot swap hard drives on your machine without opening the case?

Newegg.com - AMS DS-236TL 3.5" Tray-less 3-IN-2 SATA Backplane Module

Any issues? Is it as easy as it looks, plug up the SATA cables and give it power?

Chilly October 2, 2012 11:55 AM

In order to be able to "Hot-Swap" drives safely, make sure your S-ATA ports support AHCI and that it is enabled. Some BIOSes allow you to disable/enable the Hot-Swap feature of AHCI as well, so ensure that its enabled if you want to use that capablity.

Other than that, should work fine. :thumb:

lowfat October 2, 2012 12:01 PM

I haven't used that brand before but I've used hot swag cages a plenty. In all honestly once you go w/ one, it is hard to go back to a system w/o them. Especially the trayless versions like above.

Be careful w/ the drive locks on the one above. I've ones w/ a similar plastic lock, they ended up breaking if you used the lock a lot. I'd suggest leaving them in the unlocked position all the time. Otherwise the one you posted seems to be a good looking unit. I love the fact that it is entire black, most are not.

BlueByte October 2, 2012 12:31 PM

I use a 4 bay 2.5" HDD hot swap in a 5.25". Its clean and allows me to knock out the HDD cages they put in the front of cases that kill air flow. I have a home server so I don't need my case to fit 8-12 HDDs.

Varroa October 2, 2012 01:19 PM

I've tried using them in a no-server hardware environment (Windows home server on an Asus 775 board). They work well except for the hot plug feature which usually causes a BSOD. I just power off and removed the drive which is super easy and works very well.

bonanza2000 October 2, 2012 01:37 PM

Thanks all!

3.0charlie October 2, 2012 02:46 PM

Startech 5 Drive 3.5IN Removable SAS SATA Mobile Rack Backplane

That's the one I use for my dev platform, since it's caseless. Connected tp a Perc 5i with 4 Raptors in it, no problem.

bonanza2000 October 5, 2012 05:11 PM

New Issue with backplane

So I got a backplane for my hard drives and the motherboard doesn't really have enough SATA III connections on it. Is there some kind of PCI board that will work that will allow you to have SATA III through it? Is it just as effective? Looking at the motherboard there are 2 SATA III connections and 4 sata II connections.

Secondary question is if you have 2 optical drives I guess it would be more important to have the hard drives hooked to SATA III than the optical drives. So optical drives to SATA II? Sheesh. so many questions for what seemed like a simple task.

maybe in order of priority SSD / HDD / Optical drives to parcel out the connectors?

Or maybe I need another motherboard? :doh:

Shadowmeph October 5, 2012 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3.0charlie (Post 659215)
Startech 5 Drive 3.5IN Removable SAS SATA Mobile Rack Backplane

That's the one I use for my dev platform, since it's caseless. Connected tp a Perc 5i with 4 Raptors in it, no problem.

I like that one

grinder October 5, 2012 07:37 PM

they work very very well.. I have a 4 drive (3 bay high) unit myself. I'll never go without one ever again.