Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 17, 2008, 09:15 AM
Rookie
F@H

From what I'v herd, they wouldn't work in a laptop because of the power required to run it.
I guess they had a hard time getting them to North America too, everywhere I'v asked they've been backordered for weeks.
Old May 17, 2008, 10:15 AM
Allstar
F@H

I'm seriously considering getting a pair of these instead of the older 150's.
OhGod, DK stand firm, remember plastic isn't free..... just one? NO!
Old May 18, 2008, 01:07 AM
Associate Review Editor

Aside from the access times, the VelociRaptor is not THAT impressive, and it's certainly not a good value.

There is an 'ordinary' yet-to-be-released 640GB 7200RPM drive that will match (perhaps slightly surpass) the VR's transfer rates, and for roughly 1/3 the price.
Old May 18, 2008, 05:33 AM
Rookie

Nope performance is never the best value.. The new velocity raptor beats every consumer drive out their in speeed and access times so it is the best performing hard drive available right now..

Tell a ferrari owner or a porche owner that his car sucks because it isn''t good value.. If you want the fastest your gonna pay for it..Plain and simple this drive isn't about size it's about speed.

I,ll buy a few anyways when they become available..Which should be very very soon
Old May 18, 2008, 09:53 AM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomvill View Post
Nope performance is never the best value..
Thanks for the news update

However, every rational person wants to see value in the money they spend, especially when they are paying a sizeable premium.

Quote:
The new velocity raptor beats every consumer drive out their in speeed and access times so it is the best performing hard drive available right now..
Access times is a no contest, obviously.

However, the $80 single-platter Seagate 320GB ST3320613AS* matches the VR's maximum and average transfer rates.

[*Don't buy one though, the first batch has reliability issues.]

Quote:
Tell a ferrari owner or a porche owner that his car sucks because it isn''t good value
You are putting words into my mouth.

I never suggested that it sucks, just that it offers poor Bang for the Buck.
Old May 18, 2008, 01:58 PM
Rookie

well overclockers are a irrational bunch thats why we spend so much money and update so often. best bang for the buck lol, if I was into that i would drive a cheap car own a cheap 42" lcd and would buy all no name products at the grocery store.. No thanks..
Old May 18, 2008, 02:05 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
well overclockers are a irrational bunch thats why we spend so much money and update so often. best bang for the buck lol, if I was into that i would drive a cheap car own a cheap 42" lcd and would buy all no name products at the grocery store.. No thanks..
Sorry to say but a hard drive plays absolutely NO role in a overclock.

People are gullible and will buy into any media hype.

Just like the Raptor 150s are no long a good option because any of the new drives on the market will be faster than it in overall performance.

VR are overpriced for their performance and only gullible people will buy them to gain a whole extra 1 second load difference in anything you do.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:14 PM
Rookie

you guys can have this forum obviousely this is just a run of the mill dude i got a dell.. enjoy your mediocre computers i,ll go play with the guys who play at the edge of computer buidling and overclocking . I thought this would be nice a canaidan group but I was wrong...

Oh by the way anyone use CS3 or do video editing some small video movies on their computer,., Now you,ll see the need to have them .. I do all my work on fast drives them save them to my slower 7200 ones for a reason . the raptors are way fatser if you dont think so try it.. you,ll be suprised. Its not always about 1 second its about 10 to 20 seconds per picture multiplied x 100 pics...It adds up big time.. too much ignorance here with your got a 1 tb drive for $80 sorry thats not for me its not always about value its what you need to do what you want

Last edited by Tomvill; May 18, 2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old May 18, 2008, 02:50 PM
Rookie

Quote:
too much ignorance here with your got a 1 tb drive for $80 sorry thats not for me its not always about value its what you need to do what you want
I agree with you on that one 100%.

I prefer homebuilt computer systems because I care about the overall impression and a fast harddrive together with a slow processor can give the feel that you have upgraded the whole computer. Fast harddrives is like going inside a store and buy the best type of ice cream and when you go out the sun is still shining.
Old May 18, 2008, 04:34 PM
Associate Review Editor

Quote:
too much ignorance here with your got a 1 tb drive for $80 sorry thats not for me its not always about value its what you need to do what you want
You are putting words into my mouth again, and/or misreading my posts.

In no way do I advocate skimping out on the hard drive, and would never recommend a "a 1 tb drive for $80".

All I said is that the VR is not huge leap forward compared to modern 320GB/platter drives, and offers poor Bang for the Buck.

Maybe graphs will better prove my point:
  • $80 Seagate 7200.11 320GB ST3320613AS*

[*The access time is very high because the 320GB model is tuned for quiet operation over performance. The 640GB & above models have access times that are 6.5-7ms lower.]
  • $300 VelociRaptor:

Now, if you are looking for MAXIMUM performance in most apps, what would you do? Buy one VelociRaptor for $300, or three 640GB HDD's in RAID-0 for $330?

Last edited by MAC; May 18, 2008 at 07:34 PM.