Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 21, 2008, 01:55 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I certainly WILL buy this drive. However, I really don't understand why they had to make it in laptop form. What does this gain them or us?
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 240GB Corsair Force 3 in RAID1 | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 2GB GTX 670 | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Old April 21, 2008, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Its not bad but for the price you could buy 3 500 GB hard drives or 2 750 GB drives and put them in raid which would beat this.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old April 22, 2008, 12:26 PM
Allstar
F@H

Looks sweet!
Although its tempting, I donít think Iíll get one,
but rather get 2 150G raptors instead and run them raid0.
Should be a little faster for the same price, and I only need 300G.
besides if I got 1 300G, Iíd want 2 for a raid0
$600? no no noÖ
Old April 22, 2008, 12:53 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oversized Rooster View Post
I certainly WILL buy this drive. However, I really don't understand why they had to make it in laptop form. What does this gain them or us?
Although it's 2.5", it's thicker than normal laptop drives. It probably won't fit inside a laptop.

According to the reviews, what you gain from smaller plates is faster seek time, and less power consumption.
Old April 22, 2008, 03:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I bet they run pretty hot though the whole outter mounting system in theory is a heatsink, I'd still want a couple of fans blowing on them.

In regards to their size it doesn't take much these days to eat up 300GB considering the size of games, movies and applications the additional 300GB ensures that you will enough space over the longterm. I can speak from first hand experience I can tell you price was not a factor when I purchased 2 WD Raptor 36gb but size became a factor down the road, honestly people don't buy these drives with storage space in mind they buy for their speed. Its so that games load faster, applications install faster and your computer all around feels a little bit quicker. Even with my maxtor drives with all the fancy features sata2, NCQ and 16mb cache in raid 0 still don't equal the raw performance of a WD Raptor.

When looking at the evolution of harddrives they are lightyears behind where everything else in the computing world today, the only other thing i would consider is a SSD, but that itself is years away from being affordable, the write rates still need work and capacity is getting better but nothing compared to whats available.

Last edited by Eagle Eye; April 22, 2008 at 04:11 PM.
Old April 22, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Sweet looking HDD with great performance. Doubt I will buy one though. Just not worth it to me.

Desktop:
See the drop down!

Laptop: Dell XPS M1530 \\ T7500 2.2GHz \\ 3GB 667 \\ 6 Cell \\ 8600M GT \\ 200GB 7.2K \\ WSXGA+ \\ Bluetooth/Wireless \\ MS Blue Track Mini \\ Vista Ult. (RED)

HEATWARE
Old April 22, 2008, 09:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Eye View Post
I bet they run pretty hot though the whole outter mounting system in theory is a heatsink, I'd still want a couple of fans blowing on them.
One of the reviews I read on this hard drive said they ran one heck of alot cooler than the raptor it replaces.. THe reviewer stated he was pleasantly suprised at the much lower temperatures.. W/D also will void the warranty if the drives are removed from the heatsink. It was also stated that western digital thought the drive was 90% optimised so we could see a little more performance out of these yet which would be a bonus.. Ill buy 2 as long as the retail version benchmarks are at least the same as what I saw..I've got a TB here already so all I need is the speed for my os and programs/ Games AND I'M then a happy camper.
Old May 8, 2008, 01:30 PM
Rookie

When it comes to performance concerning the read transfer rate, it nearly doubles that of the one of my current Western Digital S-ATA at 500GB. So, for me it's certainly attractive, but the price is... well, too expensive for me anyway, especially since 300GB isn't very much in capacity.

How well would the new disk perform as a Windows swap? Any theories or real experiences of this, yet? The 150GB S-ATA disk sounds more attractive to me because of the price, hmm.. :) Although I won't get one for a while, though.
Old May 8, 2008, 04:57 PM
Allstar

NCIX has them listed now for $329.99 (http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...20Digital%20WD). Not sure when they will actually ship though.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old May 8, 2008, 08:44 PM
Rookie

I,ve seen them for $295 at premier computers in ontario.. Your definately gonna pay a premium to be one of the first owners.. I,ll buy 2 but not till the new nethalem motherboards come out.. Hopefully they will have come down a bit by then.. God I wish another hard drive manufacturer would go after this market with a sata drive.. competition would be good :)