Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   Hard drive heat 40C? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/56719-hard-drive-heat-40c.html)

Shadowmeph September 15, 2012 10:49 AM

Hard drive heat 40C?

I have never really paid attention to the heat of hard drives until yesterday when I was going to try something then I noticed that my Hard drives average a 40 c that hotter then anything else on my system why do they produce so much heat and do I need a fan to cool them off?

Ed103194 September 15, 2012 12:21 PM

When i still used a futureshop computer (lol) i noticed my harddrive gets hot during gaming (cod,crysis) because there was no fan cooling it, but now im using a storm scout case which has a 140mm fan cooling my array of drives i cannot feel the slightest amount of heat, look into a new case or a harddrive cooler!

enaberif September 15, 2012 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 655659)
I have never really paid attentetion to the heat of hard drives until yesterday when I was going to try something then I noticed that my HArd drives average a 40 c that hotter then anything else on my system why do they prodice so much heat and do I need a fan to cool them off?

Are you saying then run at 40 degrees or do you mean they run at 80 degrees? 40 degrees for a hard drive is nothing.

Shadowmeph September 15, 2012 01:17 PM

they are Idle at 40 degrees C I am surprised that they Idle at that temperature

maverick_brent September 15, 2012 02:17 PM

40c is fine..what make is the drive?

enaberif September 15, 2012 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadowmeph (Post 655691)
they are Idle at 40 degrees C I am surprised that they Idle at that temperature

Its a chunk of moving metal.. 40 is fine.. 80 is fine even 90 is fine. Heat doesn't damage a drive.

Adzsask September 15, 2012 05:59 PM

just checked, my SSD is 24C, spinners are 27C, seem a little high on your end, I am guessing they have poor air flow, my drives are being fed air from a pair of 140mm intake fans.

Shadowmeph September 15, 2012 06:21 PM

well I have four drives stacked one above the other well stacked as in the proper rack mount and there is a 120 fan sucking in air from the front of my case which the air flows over and around the drives.
That is good then that I don't have anything to worry about, I was thinking that since there drives are only around 300 GB I might as well grab a larger drive or two and do some file transferring

supaflyx3 September 15, 2012 06:39 PM

As ena said, drives arent really effected by heat as much as other components.

BlueByte September 16, 2012 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 655719)
Its a chunk of moving metal.. 40 is fine.. 80 is fine even 90 is fine. Heat doesn't damage a drive.

As long as they are running within spec this is true. few consumer desktop hard drives I know of run 90C without cooking. I have seen higher HDD failure rates on servers that had crap venting, or fan controllers fried and no one bothered to wonder why the server room was screaming alarms over a weekend. If you are worried about temp spend $10 on a fan, even a small amount of air flow will drop temps drastically. 40C is nothing to be worried about really, I always kept mine around the low 30's but I have seen what heat does so might be paranoid.