Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 4, 2012, 09:30 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Crucial V4 256GB SSD Review Comment Thread

At first glance the Crucial V4 256GB is the antithesis of current SSDs since it fails to deliver convincing performance wins over its brethren. However, the V4 still provides HDD-destroying benchmark numbers and 256GB of capacity alongside a price of under $180.

Read more here: Crucial V4 256GB SSD Review
Old September 5, 2012, 07:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If they offered a 64GB version for, say, $40, this would make a great boot drive for my HTPC.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old September 5, 2012, 11:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I think although it is far from the performance Gem of a M4, it is designed to fit in a specific marketplace that will see a lot of adopters.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old September 5, 2012, 03:34 PM
Allstar

I hope that there will be a product with a similiar philosophy that will eventually replace all HDD boot drives in OEM systems...i really hate being tech support for people with HDD boot drives (which is everyone that needs tech support).
Old September 6, 2012, 06:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Any word on the "street" price of these SSDs? The MSRP is dangerously close to the discounted prices on other 240-256GB drives that can easily outperform this one.
Old September 7, 2012, 01:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I get the intended market but for me the price difference doesn't justify the performance drop.. there are other drives that are close in price that will flat out beat this..
Old September 13, 2012, 11:53 AM
Trial Member

First you flip. This is an excellent idea and product. The manufacturers should make more like this.
Then you flop. For a little extra you can do much, much better.
You come across as a speech writer for Mitt Romney.
You say one thing then turn right around and bite yourself on your own ass.
Doesn't matter. I've always liked you people and I guess I always will.
Keep your sights low.

Last edited by SKYMTL; September 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:31 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

kzinti1, I edited out the more insulting portions of your post just to avoid a flame-war but I am leaving it as is otherwise.

Believe it or not, the conclusion reflects our thoughts on this product perfectly. On one hand we all love high performance (and the V4 certainly doesn't give that) but for its intended market, the V4 is a perfectly acceptable solution. It isn't only high performance that makes an SSD a good fit for a given niche but at the same time, people expectations are needlessly high right now anyways.
Old September 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzinti1 View Post
First you flip. This is an excellent idea and product. The manufacturers should make more like this.
Then you flop. For a little extra you can do much, much better.
You come across as a speech writer for Mitt Romney.
You say one thing then turn right around and bite yourself on your own ass.
Doesn't matter. I've always liked you people and I guess I always will.
Keep your sights low.

Actually I take the Mitt Romney snark as a compliment. I would be honoured to work for someone who was actually successful (at anything besides being a community organizer and race baiting) and then willing to serve the public (and lose a lot of money in the process). What has Oblahblah done besides tack on 5T in debt make things worse AND talk down to people for his entire 4yr term? Now there is some speech writes who like to talk out of both sides of their mouths.

Either way it is OT, but Thank you for the compliment (though I consider myself more a Paul Ryan supporter than main stream Repub supporter)....and remember before you vote in November...when you are at the edge of a cliff do you put the car in "D" or do you put the transmission in "R" and get back on safe ground? ;)

As for the rest. Nothing in this world is black or white. Stop trying to fit everything into your little boxes. Not everyone who reads a SSD review has the same needs, wants, desires or even budget. Writing a conclusion for one group and ignoring all the rest would be a great disservice to our readers. You may think otherwise. Its a free country after all.

The V4 is a good product desinged for older rigs. Does it succeed very well at its intended goal? Yes. More mfg'ers SHOULD be looking at this overlooked market. Hell, at an even more basic level YOU should be clamoring for more of these type of drive. Do you think prices of the bleeding edge SSDs have dropped out of the kindness of the mfg'ers hearts? No. It is value line SSDs that are driving prices ever lower. Dont like the V4? Fine. BUT respect what Crucial has done for the consumers with this drive.

Does the V4 compete against the M4, Samsung 830 or even Agility 4? No. It cant. It was never meant to. It would be like complaining about passenger seating on a MOTORCYCLE and trying to compare it to a school bus. Apples and oranges. BUT we did not want to give the wrong impression (once again going back to multiple different groups of readers). If you have a new 2011/2012 rig with native SATA 6 ports then yeah you will most likely be disappointed by the performance. Water is wet. Sky is blue. Etc etc etc. If you see that as flip flopping well, I am truly sorry that is the case but I will continue to take all groups into consideration when writing a conclusion.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old September 13, 2012, 05:25 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Mitt does not want to serve public, he wants public to serve him.
Intel i7-3770
Kingstone HyperX 2 x 8GB
Crucial M4 256GB + 128 GB
Sapphire Radeon HD7970
Nec Multisync LCD2690WUXI