Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2012, 05:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Need a Storage Drive, any suggestions? (Budget $100)

Ended up buying a 240gb Sandisk Extreme fairly cheap. I am looking into buying a hard drive to use as a storage drive. It would hold Movies, Music, Pictures, and Downloads folder, at least that's the plan.

Any suggestions on a reliable storage drive? 1TB should be fine, 2tb would be nice :D.
Old September 2, 2012, 05:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Canada Computers | Hard Drives | Seagate Barracuda Green (ST1500DL003) 1.5TB SATA3 6Gb/s 64MB Cache Hard Drive (OEM)

or

Canada Computers | Hard Drives | WD Green (WD20EARX) 2TB SATA3 6Gb/s 64MB (OEM)

I have one of the Seagate Barracuda Green's (2TB) that I got before the harddrive prices when nuts, had no problems so far and it's a little faster than the Western Digital Green 5900RPM vs 5200RPM.

Last edited by TopDogZero; September 2, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old September 2, 2012, 05:35 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Here are a few.

Western Digital 2TB Caviar Green SATA3 Intelli Power 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Disk Drive HDD - Western Digital WD - WD20EARX

Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - Seagate - ST2000DM001

Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM 64MB SATA 6Gbps 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - OEM - Seagate - ST1000DM003
Old September 2, 2012, 05:51 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies.
That Seagate 1.5TB has 3 years warranty. Might grab that.

I was wondering though, why do green drives in general have a bad rep? Do they have a high failure rate or something? Would like something reasonably reliable :s.
My 640GB Caviar Black is still going good had it for 2-3 years now.

Should I just buy a Caviar Black drive? As it is backed up by 5 year warranty.
Old September 2, 2012, 07:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

You pay more for the blacks but they are quite fast and damn reliable.. My fave if your not on a budget.

The new seagate 7200.14 is a really fast(lil faster than the black) and cheap option but only comes with a 1 year warranty.
Green drives shouldn't be used as main system disks, they are slow and designed to be low energy consuming back-up / media drives. Great as long as you don't install anything onto them.

I think I saw something about the 1TB black being $99 in NCIX at the moment in Bond007's thread on a new drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond007 View Post
Well....NCIX put the 1tb WD black on for $95 for the weekend, so I went for that (ordered a couple cables I needed on sale with $5 flat rate shipping). Hopefully I will have better luck with that than my now departed seagate. Thanks for all the input.
Damn good price for the usually expensive black WD's.. You might get it if you order today. :)
Old September 2, 2012, 09:13 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
You pay more for the blacks but they are quite fast and damn reliable.. My fave if your not on a budget.

The new seagate 7200.14 is a really fast(lil faster than the black) and cheap option but only comes with a 1 year warranty.
Green drives shouldn't be used as main system disks, they are slow and designed to be low energy consuming back-up / media drives. Great as long as you don't install anything onto them.

I think I saw something about the 1TB black being $99 in NCIX at the moment in Bond007's thread on a new drive.

Damn good price for the usually expensive black WD's.. You might get it if you order today. :)
Thanks for the response.
Its just going to be used to hold Videos, Music, Pictures, & Downloads. So it will be written to and accessed quite a bit. But no applications or games will be installed to it.

For that purpose do you think I could go with a green drive? and be safe? would be nice to get the extra space for the same price as a black, just kind of scared of it failing. I've never used a green drive before so I really don't know how good/bad they are just going by how they have complaints on sites like newegg and ncix.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Personal choice really.. The blacks are super solid, I have had 5 myself and built quite a few machines with them and never had a single problem.. Thats not to say that you'll be guaranteed no problems
There is little wrong with the greens.. not built to the same spec but then, they are much less expensive..

Gotta take all the info you have and make your own choice..
Old September 2, 2012, 10:02 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The LP and Greens seem solid to me.....
Old September 3, 2012, 09:43 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Found a used Caviar Black 1TB with a little over 2 years warranty left, for a decent price. Probably buy that if everything is good. Guess I'll see how it goes, if it doesn't work out maybe I'll buy a green drive.