Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 2, 2012, 04:22 PM
Rookie

Default how do i change what files are installed on my ssd/hard drive

my problem is i recently installed an SSD into my computer, i got everything up and running and its now running as my boot drive, with a couple additional games on it. my problem now is i dont know exactly how to set it so not everything installs to my ssd because its only 120 gbs it wont be able to hold all my stuff, if anyone knows how to change the settings so i can choose what installs to my SSD and what doesnt that would be great!
Old September 2, 2012, 04:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you have a secondary hard drive, you can just format it to NTFS, and when you go to install a game, it will ask you to install to the c drive (windows), click browse or change or whatever and select the other hard drive. I have Diablo 3, starcrat 2, warcraft 3 installed on a secondary ssd. If you use Steam you can move your steam directory to a secondary hard drive as well. (Google search how to do it) Origin games can be installed to another drive too.
Old September 2, 2012, 04:34 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Don't use the "express install" for anything. Always select "custom install" as that will typically give you the option to select where you want to install.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old September 2, 2012, 10:41 PM
Top Prospect

You could change your libraries (music, documents, etc) default locations to your hard drive, and if needed use Steam Mover to move your games that you are currently not playing from your SSD.

Open Windows Explorer and right-click a library in the left navigation pane, select Properties.
Click "Include a folder" navigate to your hard drive and create a new folder there (documents, or whatever you plan to move) then click Include Folder. The new folder should show up in the Properties section for that library. Click to select it, then select "Set Save Location". Now when you add something to one of those libraries, they should be on the hard drive.
My Documents can also be moved by right-clicking and selecting the Location tab, click Move (create a My Documents folder on the hard drive) click Select Folder. You will receive a pop-up asking if you want to move the contents of the directory to the new location, select Yes. All done, enjoy that SSD.