Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   SSD Help needed :) (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/56471-ssd-help-needed.html)

AuXDubz September 2, 2012 05:05 AM

SSD Help needed :)

Hello, right i need a little help as i am a little bit confused, right now i am looking into to investing in a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Solid State Hybrid, and i just have a few questions about it

1. When the i installed the drive how to i transfer my Windows 7, to it?
2. Is there a way to transfer programs without uninstalling and reinstalling them to new drive?
3. Can you even put a Monentus in a desktop?

Thankyou,

NyteOwl September 2, 2012 11:35 AM

The hybrid drives behave exactly the same as a regular hard drive so far as installation/use is concerned. Just a but faster performance. Note these are NOT SSD's and will not deliver SSD performance.

1) There are a number of migration tools on the net and for purchase. A sarch on yourt favorite search engine, or peruse of system utilities at your favorite vendor should turn up a number of options.
2) See above. Most tools will transfer your entire install to a new drive.
3) Yes you can. If it is a 2.5" you may need a bracket adapater for a 3.5" drive bay

BryceBooth September 2, 2012 03:47 PM

I agree with NyteOwl, however it may be wise to consider other caching options as well if you are looking for both capacity, and performance. Intel's newer chipsets offer Smart Response Technology, and several SSD manufacturers have their own cache drives (OCZ Synapse, Corsair Accelerator, etc).

If you have a spare drive on hand for back-ups or storage, you could use a disk image to transfer everything over en-masse, whether using the one built into Windows, or a free program like Macrium Reflect. Also, if you buy an OEM drive it will not include screws or cables.

enaberif September 2, 2012 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuXDubz (Post 652818)
Hello, right i need a little help as i am a little bit confused, right now i am looking into to investing in a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB Solid State Hybrid, and i just have a few questions about it

1. When the i installed the drive how to i transfer my Windows 7, to it?
2. Is there a way to transfer programs without uninstalling and reinstalling them to new drive?
3. Can you even put a Monentus in a desktop?

Thankyou,

Momentus works fine in a desktop but you won't see as much performance increase one may think.

AuXDubz September 6, 2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 652873)
Momentus works fine in a desktop but you won't see as much performance increase one may think.

Thanks for the response :)

AuXDubz September 6, 2012 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryceBooth (Post 652870)
I agree with NyteOwl, however it may be wise to consider other caching options as well if you are looking for both capacity, and performance. Intel's newer chipsets offer Smart Response Technology, and several SSD manufacturers have their own cache drives (OCZ Synapse, Corsair Accelerator, etc).

If you have a spare drive on hand for back-ups or storage, you could use a disk image to transfer everything over en-masse, whether using the one built into Windows, or a free program like Macrium Reflect. Also, if you buy an OEM drive it will not include screws or cables.

Thanks for the response :)

AuXDubz September 6, 2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryceBooth (Post 652870)

Also quick question, whats the difference with a "Cache Drive"

BryceBooth September 6, 2012 01:39 PM

A cache drive offers more NAND than the Momentus, they are usually 32-64 GB drives with accompanying software that caches the data that is installed on the hard drive of your choosing. Here is an excellent review.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ve-review.html

Generic User #2 September 6, 2012 03:29 PM

its funny cause a momentus xt is just a hard drive with the cache drive builtin lol

AuXDubz September 6, 2012 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryceBooth (Post 653789)
A cache drive offers more NAND than the Momentus, they are usually 32-64 GB drives with accompanying software that caches the data that is installed on the hard drive of your choosing. Here is an excellent review.

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ve-review.html

Ok, Thanks :)