Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 31, 2012, 10:13 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well on todays harddrives it's worth assuming you're going to be using the warranty.

I've had enough fail at the 3 and 4 year mark that it makes getting a replacement for $12 pretty nice, even if you don't want to use it as a main drive anymore. Toss it in a external 3.5 case maybe?
Old August 31, 2012, 10:27 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

For me the difference in price and performance with the Seagates make them very tempting.. MUCH cheaper than the WD's..

The Thing that makes the WD's appealing isn't really the 5 year warranty.. It's what that number says.. That they are confident that the drives will last that long so I'm more sure I'm not going to have any problem
No problems is worth more to me than a great RMA experience.. Though they can't be shocking on that front either..
Old August 31, 2012, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
For me the difference in price and performance with the Seagates make them very tempting.. MUCH cheaper than the WD's..

The Thing that makes the WD's appealing isn't really the 5 year warranty.. It's what that number says.. That they are confident that the drives will last that long so I'm more sure I'm not going to have any problem
No problems is worth more to me than a great RMA experience.. Though they can't be shocking on that front either..
See to me its backwards.. shorter warranty = better reliability ; longer warranty = less reliable
Old September 1, 2012, 01:00 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

That just doesn't make any sense at all...
If you have a product that is rock solid and you are confident that it won't fail for a long time, you provide a warranty that backs up your claim.
Mainly because if you had a high failure rate you would have to cover so many parts that the replacements would bleed you dry..
This is done mainly by companies either trying to raise their name in the market OR a company selling a premium product like the black HDD's

If your not so confident you give a more standard warranty, to show that you back your product but at the same time your limiting the financial risk involved with the longer warranty.

If your really not confident.. you provide the minimum you can... This shows your a budget producer that want to provide budget parts and are not confident in standing behind the reliability of the product.

You could argue that the longer the warranty means that they think the drive will fail.. but thats financial suicide.. no company thinks that way..
length of warranty = a companies confidence in that they won't have to replace it within that time.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

advertising a warranty is a way to get sales, and as this thread shows, it works.
Old September 1, 2012, 05:13 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Well....NCIX put the 1tb WD black on for $95 for the weekend, so I went for that (ordered a couple cables I needed on sale with $5 flat rate shipping). Hopefully I will have better luck with that than my now departed seagate. Thanks for all the input.
Old September 1, 2012, 05:25 PM
Rookie

I thought the fail rate was highest in the first two years?
Old September 1, 2012, 05:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

And Seagate have a 1 yr warranty.. doesn't shout confidence to me...

I am trying one of their 2TB drives on my brothers new machine.. But received it damaged (obviously not seagates fault) so still waiting.. :(
Old September 1, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I pretty much bought Seagates for several years, all with the 5 year warranties.

I'd say the drives fail any time anywhere along the 5 years.... no real increase at any one time.
Old September 1, 2012, 10:20 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've wrapped my WD Black in one of these... can't here a thing.

Tuniq Sanctum 5.25" HDD Cooler - Black Products Model: SANCTUM-BK [SANCTUM-BK] : Performance-PCs.com, ... sleeve it and they will come