Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 29, 2012, 11:17 PM
Rookie

Default hey guys ssd question!

I've been considering in buying and SSD but i've read that they degrade with time, what's up with that?
is that true or is that just a rumor?

Should i just buy an HDD instead?

the ssd's im considering are :
Intel 330,120gig
samsumg 830, 120gig
or kingstong hyperx 3k 120gig.

Does it apply to these ssd's?

If you have any other ssd's to recommend feel free to do so!
although, I want reliability and some speed, at least 400mb read and write speed!
but mostly reliability, i heard that ssd intend to die quickly for some reason. and there has been a lot of returns. i don't want that hassle :[

anyways,

Thank you for your time and thanks for the reply in advance folks!

-EDIT : I have considered Crucial SSD's but at the moment the ones i've named previously are the ones that are currently on rebate. Also intel 520 is not on rebate so it is put aside for the moment.

Last edited by aznb3nms; August 29, 2012 at 11:26 PM.
Old August 29, 2012, 11:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Performance does degrade with USAGE(writes) but with the current one's this is minimal and your more likely to change the drive before it becomes an issue..

To save "wear" there are some good practice points to follow in not writing to often to them.. Thats to say install programs on them but use HDD's for data..
Download folder and if you want to go farther cache and temporary files can all go to a HDD.. Downloads folder on a HDD will be the main one.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Just get a new Intel SSD. TRIM does a pretty damn good job of eliminating the degradation you're wondering about.

TRIM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old August 30, 2012, 09:22 AM
Rookie

i'm a budget here. so i can't really afford to buy an ssd and a hdd...it's one or the other and it will be my main drive.

im not too try about the trim thing buddy... AnandTech - The Intel SSD 330 Review (60GB, 120GB, 180GB)
Old August 30, 2012, 02:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Unless you are planning on writing 4GB (Gigabytes) of data to your drive each day for the next 3 years then yes, you should definetly get an HDD; however, if the SSD will see "normal" use, then you should be fine. Also, if you can, get a large capacity drive than a 120GB - i.e. 180GB or 240/256GB - it would be better.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; August 31, 2012 at 08:53 AM. Reason: on writing (was: of writing) + it would be better
Old August 30, 2012, 05:00 PM
Top Prospect

Any of those drives would be fine, which operating system are you using?
Performance degradation is offset by TRIM (implemented in Windows 7 et al), as well as the SSD controllers built-in idle-time garbage collection.
For best long term performance, never defrag the SSD, try to use less than 70% of the available capacity (preferably 50%), and move your media collection, and documents to a secondary drive.
Old August 30, 2012, 09:06 PM
Rookie

well i was thinking of downloading The OS windows 7 or windows 8 if it supports TRIM, and if the performance wise is better than windows 7. I was thinking of this computer to be my main computer, where i could work ( libreoffice ) ... eh surf the web with loads of tabs open ( bad habit of mine ) , play games....
so i'm assuming i'll be writing / erasing a lot on my SSD. which will degrade it much faster.

I was thinking of getting ONE drive. and not more, because of my budget.
So i can't really do SSD + HDD.

I'm tilting more towards the HDD... for now... but i was wondering... the drive how bad can it degrade?
can it degrade to a level where it's actually doing worst than a HDD?
Old August 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Right, if you are that budget restricted that you cannot do an SSD/HDD combo, then definitely go with an HDD, you can always upgrade later and keep the HDD for backup/data. Plus a 120/128GB drive will fill up in no time and then what? Even if you were to go with an low capacity HDD (250GB or 320GB), you will have room to spare and save some cash. Your call.
Old August 31, 2012, 12:01 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
Even if you were to go with an low capacity HDD (250GB or 320GB), you will have room to spare and save some cash. Your call.
That certainly sounds reasonable, and later when your budget allows for an SSD upgrade you can always use the drive for storage or backups. Both Windows 7 & 8 support TRIM, and although SSD's slow down over time they are still worth it due to their performance. After formatting a 120 GB SSD, you'll have approximately 111GB available which is plenty for the OS, a bunch of apps, and a handful of games.
SSD's and hard drives can both fail at the absolute worst time, whether it's a firmware issue, or the dreaded head crash. Whatever you decide to choose, backup your valuable data. If you get an SSD, don't be afraid to use it, even with a lot of writes it should last at least a couple of years. It may be worth your while to browse the forums here, as well as thessdreview.com