Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Storage (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/)
-   -   OS drive dying; back-up drive is dynamic; what do? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/storage/56331-os-drive-dying-back-up-drive-dynamic-what-do.html)

consid3r August 25, 2012 08:37 PM

OS drive dying; back-up drive is dynamic; what do?

I have a 300 GB Seagate drive with my OS on it but the HD is dying. Of this 300GB, about 60 GB is being used.

I also have a 1 TB Caviar Black drive, partition split 65/35.

The 65 portion of the drive has about 175 GB free.
The 35 portion of the drive is completely empty.

The 35 portion was intended for an OS, the 65 was intended for extra media/steam/sc2/etc. I was about to install 7 onto the 35 portion of my 1 TB drive tonight and found out I cannot install an OS onto a dynamic drive. Damn it.

In order to make my drive basic, I need to evacuate the entire drive. I have no place to store everything on that drive and my friends' do not have any spare HD space for me to lend.

So what are my options? I have to buy a new drive. So what should I get? I've been debating between SSD, Hybrid or Normal... I really do have enough space as it is, but I think I'd like at least 1.1TB total capacity.

Keep in mind I have an old school EVGA x58 board with SATA2 only. I realize a SATA3 works with SATA2 - but I won't get its benefits. I also realize that SATA3 is transferable to a newer mobo for the futre, but I'd just like to point this little fact out...

A quick scout of my options across NCIX and Canada Computers reveals these prices. I have not included OCZ because I've heard terrible things about their reliability.

$75 for a Kingston SSDNow 128GB
$99 for a Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB (SATA3)
$110 for a Crucial M4 128GB (SATA3)
$110 for a Mushkin Chronos 120GB (SATA3)
$155 for a Kingston SSDNow 256GB (seems like a meh deal)
$180 for a Corsair Force 3 180GB (SATA3)

$90 for a Seagate Hybrid Momentus XT 500GB (HYBRID)
$130 for a Seagate Hybrid Momentus XT 750GB (HYBRID)

$120 for a Caviar Black 1TB (CLASSIC)

I've thought about getting a Caviar Blue 1TB + a 64GB SSD like a Kingston SSDNow. That's a viable choice too.

Any advice on brands/sales/choices?

Thanks!

frontier204 August 26, 2012 06:22 AM

If you're only using that OS drive for the OS, then keep your 1 TB drive and get a 80-90GB SSD. I haven't tried this generation of SSD, so I won't comment on which one to get. You can get better performance if you're not using all the space of the SSD (although whether that added performance is noticeable is another story, dependent on the NAND and the controller of the SSD). I assume you're running Windows 7 or newer OS? If you're running Vista or older you'll want to pay special attention whether your SSD can work nicely with no TRIM support (i.e. NOT a SandForce 2281).

Don't get a hybrid drive for your desktop - the one in my laptop helps boot times and application start times but that's about it because the NAND on a Momentus XT is only used for reading. Additionally, there's not much flash on those drives - 4GB or 8GB depending on whether you have a 1st or 2nd generation Momentus XT. What I've noticed is boot times are really good (but still not SSD fast), but backups and installing updates is the same speed as a conventional hard drive.

bonanza2000 August 26, 2012 07:11 AM

I use a SSD for the OS only. It makes a significant difference on startup. If you can afford it, I'd recommend this route. I've been using the OCZ 60 GB SSD and haven't had any problems in 2 years. also have a Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F90GBGT-BK 2.5" 90GB SATA III that I have been using for 6 months with no issues. I am not sure how I would know if a SSD was failing though.