Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2012, 12:52 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Easily and always Intel SSDs. You get the SSD toolbox which makes tweaking/optimizing/updating your ssd as easy as clicking a button. Oh, and the performance is far better.

oh with out a doubt the Intels are blazing fast but so is the price, the Intels 320 120gb were around double what the Samsung 830s 128gb

I just couldn't justify it when SSD's are still in that growing stage .
Old August 13, 2012, 05:08 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungMan View Post
Easily and always Intel SSDs. You get the SSD toolbox which makes tweaking/optimizing/updating your ssd as easy as clicking a button. Oh, and the performance is far better.
FYI, Samsung 830 have their own toolbox called Magician. It has everything Intel has plus more. 830s are also faster in some benches than the 520s (I have both).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistol pete View Post
vertex 4...
Vertex4 has the same controller as the Plextor M5P but I'd go for the M5P for it's better written firmware.
Old August 13, 2012, 05:29 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
FYI, Samsung 830 have their own toolbox called Magician. It has everything Intel has plus more. 830s are also faster in some benches than the 520s (I have both).

Vertex4 has the same controller as the Plextor M5P but I'd go for the M5P for it's better written firmware.
6 in one half in the other when it comes to toolboxes....both work. The sammy 830 is good kit. BUT its not faster than an Intel 520 in most real world scenarios. There are some outliers but they are the exception that prove the rule. ;)

The Vertex 4 uses the Everest 2 controller....ie the controller designed by OCZ (via their Indilinx dept). The Plextor M5 Pro uses the latest (IIRC 3rd) generation Marvell controller. Apples and oranges mate. NOT the same controller ...at all. I think you are misremembering the Anad article...where they state both use the same 'silicone'...but thats not the same as using the same controller. I have very high hopes for the Marvell 'Monet' controller.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old August 13, 2012, 05:31 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post

Vertex 4 is Indilinx, M5 Pro is Marvel 9187. M5 Pro is still a way better drive IMO.c
Old August 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
I think you are misremembering the Anad article...where they state both use the same 'silicone'...but thats not the same as using the same controller.
My bad, wrong wording.
Old August 14, 2012, 02:13 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

How would you rank all these companies?
Old August 14, 2012, 08:01 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Samsuung is good and its SSD's are suppose to be one of the most reliable all tho I had a horrible experience with the phone support recently.
Plextor has been around since 1989 and is a strong competitor.

The post above state that the intel is faster but at the end of the day is it worth the cost to gain probably an unnoticeable amount of performance ? In my world as a gamer and normal every day user with a normal amount of money , its not worth it .

now if you are a bencher or want every drop of performance out of the bleeding edge you can get then get a new SSD every week when a faster one is released .
Old August 14, 2012, 12:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodystumps View Post
Samsuung is good and its SSD's are suppose to be one of the most reliable all tho I had a horrible experience with the phone support recently.
Plextor has been around since 1989 and is a strong competitor.

The post above state that the intel is faster but at the end of the day is it worth the cost to gain probably an unnoticeable amount of performance ? In my world as a gamer and normal every day user with a normal amount of money , its not worth it .

now if you are a bencher or want every drop of performance out of the bleeding edge you can get then get a new SSD every week when a faster one is released .

Boy if I need Reliable, Durable, Speedy, and Simply Beautiful, Samsung for sure?

Cuz I've heard issues and drawbacks with almost all brand, OCZ, Force, GT, Kingston etc. Never heard anything about are Intel, Crucial and Samsung. I love Samsung in everything, is also they performed well in SSDs?
Old August 14, 2012, 12:23 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Indilinx vs Sandforce?

Suggest me best one under 160-180 bucks. I like things which atleast spend some years cuz my work isnt heavy, normal gaming and school work :)
Old August 14, 2012, 02:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Reliability... top THREE (in no particular order) are Intel, Crucial, Samsung. They get the cream of the crop. Pick whichever fits within your budget the best. Cant wrong with any of them. Personally I prefer Intel and Crucial to Samsung. I no longer willingly deal with that company.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr