Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2012, 07:45 AM
Rookie

Exclamation !HELP! harddrive issue

Back in Febuary my harddrive got infeced with the "click of death", i got it cloned at bestbuy. it took me a while to figure out that my harddrive had a glitch which was getting worse. apperently my warrenty had expired by time i brang it in. (the problem was that windows was already activated but thaught it wasnt). i was charged 60 then for them to run teir scans and say to try and see if they fixed the problem... i phoned back after setting up my pc and asking them a few questions, the big question i asked them is if it is safe for me to factory reset my pc so i could give it to my friend cause i want to build a new one, he said yes, i asked him if he was sure about 8 times. now my pc is stuck starting windows7, trys to run set up, fails then restarts the process becasue of restarting...PLEASE HELP! sorry for bad grammer and spelling mistakes.
Old August 6, 2012, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

how old was the branded Laptop or PC should cover if under 1 yr of buy/billing date

did store swiped the HDD clean .....if did they cleaned out your system back-up partition off drive this why getting blank screen .

do you have system set-up disks ?

sounds if need to update OS software SP1 via internet
Old August 6, 2012, 09:58 AM
Rookie

i cant do anything to it, it keeps restarting, then trying to install windows but failing, then restarting again...
Old August 6, 2012, 10:00 AM
Rookie

the pc was an acer, its over a year old, i upgraded the video card and case, so it is now a custom pc... they also did not wipe my old harddrive that is about to die on me... i do not want to put anymore money into this system. i just want to give it to my friend in a working condidtion and get a little bit of money, and save my money for a new pc...
Old August 6, 2012, 05:20 PM
Rookie

I recommend never going to best buy to anyone. you pay them to fix one thing but cause 22 other problems with your pc... they wanted 240 dollars for windows7 home premium... and the retail I believe is only 120... so I got it at ncix... reformatting my hard drive... 500 dollars I spent at best buy, which has done nothing but cause me more problems...
Old August 6, 2012, 06:10 PM
Top Prospect

Have you removed the side panels and checked to make sure all power connectors are firmly seated?
It may also be a good time to re-seat your RAM and GPU?
Best Buy is a terrible place, thankfully your hard drive should still be under warranty from the manufacturer (Acer), as well as the Hard Drive Manufacturer (Seagate, Western Digital, etc).
Old August 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
Rookie

-______-... i basically raged at best buy for charging a ton of money to do nothing. so i ended up doing what i was going to do in the begining, which was reformating my hardrive with a new copy of windows 7. you are joking about the connections to the power supply. what do you mean by re seating my ram and gpu... and its been over a year so no more warrenty.
Old August 8, 2012, 04:59 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipOrc View Post
-______-... i basically raged at best buy for charging a ton of money to do nothing. so i ended up doing what i was going to do in the begining, which was reformating my hardrive with a new copy of windows 7. you are joking about the connections to the power supply. what do you mean by re seating my ram and gpu... and its been over a year so no more warrenty.
Take the RAM and GPU Out and put it back in, making sure that the little tabs audibly 'click' into place.

Keep in mind that DDR3 is unidirectional and will not fit if you put it back in the wrong way.

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old August 8, 2012, 09:01 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipOrc View Post
There have been many people who have inadvertently bumped a power cable while digging through their rig's guts, slightly dislodging something in the process of what was once a simple component swap or removal. I am in no way implying that it was you, but it sounds like you brought the machine to Best Buy therefore you are not the only one who has accessed its internals and handled it. As for re-seating RAM and GPU, remove them and put them back in, making sure that their contacts are firmly seated in the slots, and that the tabs are in the locked position.
It still wouldn't hurt to contact the drive manufacturer to inquire whether or not your disk is still under warranty, but those are just my thoughts, good luck.

Tags
bestbuy , clone , need help