Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 6, 2012, 06:50 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default SSD+HDD

Hello fellow forum members,
Recently i built my first ever pc. I installed my Crucial M4 SSD 128gb and my WD Black Caviar HDD 1TB. I have windows on the SDD and i directed all the libraries (Contacts, desktop, downloads, favorites, links, documents, music, pictures, videos, saved games, and searches) to my HDD.
I have three more questions before i'm all set (at least i think so).

Is there anything i want to move from my SSD? I ONLY want windows and programs on my SSD except steam.

I want to install steam but how do i install it on another HDD? Do i just hit install on drive K? Should i create a folder within the HDD labeled program files or is there something more technical involved?

Also, i heard about people doing disk partitioning, which to my understanding, is dividing the disk into multiple spaces in case something happens to it? Should i really do this on my SSD? For example, should i partition it to be Windows OS and then Windows Programs?

Just to make sure one more time (not to annoy sorry) please let me know if there is anything else i should redirect from my SSD to HDD.

Cheers!

Last edited by PcWizTech; August 6, 2012 at 07:15 AM.
Old August 6, 2012, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PcWizTech View Post
I want to install steam but how do i install it on another HDD? Do i just hit install on drive K?
Cheers!
Here is how to move steam and your games to the HDD.

I have my Windows installation on a 120GB SSD and steam on another sperate SSD. You can create a partition on your HDD (Call it steam) and size it appropriately. Then move your steam install and games over to it. Then you can partition the remaining space on your HDD and call it "Storage" or "Data" or whatever and put all your files/downloads/movies there. Keep all your windows stuff on the SSD. Thats how I would do it.
Old August 6, 2012, 11:47 AM
Rookie

Im a complete noob here and i was wondering how you partition and how you redirect your libraries and stuff...
Old August 6, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame

don't partition drives its umneccesary
Old August 6, 2012, 02:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by HipOrc View Post
i was wondering how you partition and how you redirect your libraries and stuff...
you don't really need to do that. Just install the regular programs on the SSD and the games on the HDD, this is how my setup is done. I made a directory called Additional_Programs where I installed the games, just not to wipe them out by mistake and that's it.
Old August 6, 2012, 04:45 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Im all set but i have to say, dandelioneater, you helped me out before, but your profile gif cracks me up every single time man. Cheers!

Tags
ssd new