Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2012, 05:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Exclamation RAID 0 with SSDs

Hello folks
I have an OCZ Vertex, first generation, and an OCZ Vertex Turbo, both of them are the 30GB versions, and I raided them in a RAID 0 matrix. The goal is to keep a speedy system for my gf, she is playing those games on facebook that load a huge amount of information in flash, after a few minutes of play the memory size in task manager for flash will indicate at least 400MB. That would not be an issue as per se as our systems have 6GB and 8GB respectively of RAM. Her system is presently using a Mushkin Enhanced 60GB SATA III SSD and the controller is the Marvell 9123 I think, on the Asus U3S6. I would consider giving her my system, which has the 2 SSDs in RAID and 8GB of RAM, but before doing that, to keep the system at it's peak performance is there anything I should do before that? The RAID matrix is done with 64k stripe and the controller is the AMD southbridge SB710. Should I change the stripe, any suggestions? TRIM is out of the question given the RAID config. I am also considering buying a Crucial M4 64GB, from what I see on the web this is the best performing SSD in non TRIM environments. What can you advice me? Below there are 2 screenshots of read and write performance done with HD Tune and Atto 264.
Attached Images

Old August 4, 2012, 06:18 AM
Hall Of Fame

Doing this will do nothing for those flash games at all. This will be more for fum
Old August 4, 2012, 07:13 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

what I meant, after a month or so, the game loading is very slow. Is this impacted by the lack of TRIM on my system ot because the ITGC of the SandForce controller is not that strong?
Old August 5, 2012, 10:03 PM
Top Prospect

First things first, get rid of all incriminating evidence of any nefarious behaviour before giving this to your girlfriend. I would suggest removing the drives from the array, checking OCZ's site for the latest firmware, zero those drives, and then rebuild your array. I am currently running a pair of Corsair Sandforce-based drives in RAID 0 with a 128KB stripe, and have been very pleased with it's performance. Also for best SSD performance, it is generally best to only use half of the available capacity.
You could certainly run some Malware scans, update Flash, and enable hardware acceleration.