Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 30, 2012, 01:11 PM
Rookie

Default SSD Technology Help?

Hello, I have a HP DV7-1243CA and I am planning to upgrade to a Crucial M4 128 GB SSD. I am wondering if the chipset supports TRIM and what SATA port it is like is it SATA II? The chipset is AMD 780G. Its a laptop.

HP specs: Product Specifications - HP technical support (United Kingdom - English)

SSD: Crucial M4 2.5in SATA III Solid State Drive, 128GB at Memory Express

Now I know that its either TRIM or Garbage Cleanup or None which makes it really slow and I'm really noob to the SSD world and I need some help on like people say to use the MS ACHI for TRIM and not to use the AMD ACHI cause it sucks. I want to know how you could use MS ACHI because from what I've learned, there's only one ACHI mode in the bios. I also know that SATA doesn't really matter for the SSD speed like boot times, this is correct right? Could someone please explain to me what I should do for this upgrade like in steps. Thank you!
Old July 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

your chipset should support Trim, it's more the Vista I'm not 100% sure of. I know that Win7 will support it but I don't know if Vista does.
Old July 30, 2012, 03:52 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IIRC...and it has been a looong while. BUT I think it was the 8 series that got 'official' TRIM support by tardy....tardy AMD. I find the older AMD chipset to be hit or miss when it comes to TRIM, so I would go under the assumption that you do NOT have trim and will never have it.

This means idle time is your friend. The M4 has fantastic "ITGC" - I use it in one of my 8 series rigs - and as long as it has some time just sitting there at the desktop it stays fast. Its ones of the best options for such a system. Another great option is the Intel 520 and its excellent toolbox which will manually clean the drive on a schedule (so no idling needed. usually about 30 seconds or less a week where the system will 'pause' and that is it). Dark horse 3rd option would be a Sammy 830 SSD.

Boot time is only mildly impacted by running in SATA 3Gb/s mode. Dont worry about it. Its not a big deal.
Running in AHCI mode...IS a big deal. Its much better for SSDs. You want to run in AHCI.
I assume your laptop cant support more than 1 storage device...so no "AHCI - RAID" mode option. This is the assumption I would go under, making the sole AHCI mode...the one you WANT to use.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 30, 2012, 05:59 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
IIRC...and it has been a looong while. BUT I think it was the 8 series that got 'official' TRIM support by tardy....tardy AMD. I find the older AMD chipset to be hit or miss when it comes to TRIM, so I would go under the assumption that you do NOT have trim and will never have it.

This means idle time is your friend. The M4 has fantastic "ITGC" - I use it in one of my 8 series rigs - and as long as it has some time just sitting there at the desktop it stays fast. Its ones of the best options for such a system. Another great option is the Intel 520 and its excellent toolbox which will manually clean the drive on a schedule (so no idling needed. usually about 30 seconds or less a week where the system will 'pause' and that is it). Dark horse 3rd option would be a Sammy 830 SSD.

Boot time is only mildly impacted by running in SATA 3Gb/s mode. Dont worry about it. Its not a big deal.
Running in AHCI mode...IS a big deal. Its much better for SSDs. You want to run in AHCI.
I assume your laptop cant support more than 1 storage device...so no "AHCI - RAID" mode option. This is the assumption I would go under, making the sole AHCI mode...the one you WANT to use.
Well my laptop does have 2 HDD bays and I guess I will run RAID 1 which means no TRIM. What is this ITGC you talk about?
Old July 30, 2012, 06:35 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

ITGC or BGGC

Is Idle Time Garbage Collection or Background Garbage Collection

When your system is not actively 'using' the ssd, the ssd looks at its table sees what blocks are in use and are good and what one have been USED but not IN use. It then 'cleans' these 'dirty' blocks. "Slow downs" happen when the SSD runs out of 'clean' blocks. A m4 has fairly aggressive 'itgc' so even while reading a long webpage you will see the HDD activity light go on. This is the SSD cleaning itself. The more dirty blocks the longer it will take to clean them all...BUT it doesnt need to do them all at once. Even one more block cleaned is one more block it can reuse. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 30, 2012, 07:04 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
ITGC or BGGC

Is Idle Time Garbage Collection or Background Garbage Collection

When your system is not actively 'using' the ssd, the ssd looks at its table sees what blocks are in use and are good and what one have been USED but not IN use. It then 'cleans' these 'dirty' blocks. "Slow downs" happen when the SSD runs out of 'clean' blocks. A m4 has fairly aggressive 'itgc' so even while reading a long webpage you will see the HDD activity light go on. This is the SSD cleaning itself. The more dirty blocks the longer it will take to clean them all...BUT it doesnt need to do them all at once. Even one more block cleaned is one more block it can reuse. ;)
Do I need any program to use ITGC? When you mean "using" you mean like not writing and reading data off of it? I am willing to go with the hit or miss TRIM, what do you suggest if I try using TRIM? And thanks for all of the help so far! :D

Last edited by Brainiac777; July 30, 2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old July 31, 2012, 10:35 PM
Rookie

Damn, he left :(

Tags
amd , crucial , sata , ssd , trim