Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2012, 12:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default HDD Reliability Going Down?

Has anyone bought a 2TB from any manufacturer lately, and have it die on them shortly, say within a year or two? I've been reading a couple complaints on RFD, and it seems to be one of the reasons why the warranty is so much shorter now, according to RFD posters.

I currently have a Western Digital 1TB Black from June 2010, and I'm thinking of replacing it with a Western Digital or Seagate 2TB drive. Maybe even get a 3TB drive now that hard drive prices are pretty cheap (this week anyways).

This is the one I'm considering. Seems to be the fastest... But that 1 year warranty... I like HWC's review for it though.

Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200RPM SATA3 64MB Cache 3.5IN Internal Hard Drive - Seagate - ST3000DM001

Last edited by geokilla; July 21, 2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 01:29 PM
Allstar

I was checking out the new WD Red 2TB on Newegg and saw someone complain that 2 out of the 3 drives arrived DOA. Didn't most of them reduce the warranty length after the Thailand flood? May be the components aren't as good afterward?
Old July 21, 2012, 02:17 PM
Hall Of Fame

Maybe these bad reviews come from people who have shitty power supplies or worse dirty power to their homes causing premature issues?

A ups is cheap these days buy one and be thankful