Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2012, 07:26 AM
Rookie

Question have quick question for ssd:)

hi i was buying the samsung 830 128gb and i saw that there are internal solid state and dekstop upgrade kit

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) internal

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Desktop Upgrade Kit dekstop kit

i saw that dekstop kit has the sata cables and other things that other dont have. so i cant put internal in to my build?
Old July 20, 2012, 08:27 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Do you have a spare sata cable? If yes buy the notebook kit, if no buy a cheap sata cable and buy the notebook kit.
Old July 20, 2012, 09:17 AM
Rookie

why notebook?
Old July 20, 2012, 11:56 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by netgears View Post
why notebook?
It isn't worth the 25 bucks extra for the desktop kit because its still the same ssde, you just get a sata cable and a 3.5" drive adapter. So get the notebook kit, buy a sata cable if you need one, and you should be good to go.
Old July 20, 2012, 12:09 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

The first option is the barebones drive only option. Its perfect for advanced users. Whereas the desktop upgrade kit is perfect for people who dont already have all the software and hardware parts and want to just buy ONE item. Most SSD users already have a favorite brand of SATA cable (SATA 3....cheapest I can find), have a spare 2.5" to 3.5" adapter bracket (IIRC the 830 basic kit doesnt come with one...but its been awhile since I've ever even bothered with 'official' adapter brackets) and already own (or know where to download) cloning software....thus the cheaper option is perfect for my needs.

If you are comfortable with picking up a SATA 6Gb/s cable, adapter bracket and know where to get the imaging software - or are starting from scratch- then the cheaper kit is better. Both have the same SSD it is literally just the accessories which differ.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 20, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

And if you want to save even more, pick up some velcro if your case doesn't natively support 2.5" drives and velcro it behind your motherboard tray or wherever else you'd want it.
Old July 20, 2012, 01:27 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I agree with these guys
Old July 20, 2012, 01:32 PM
Rookie

ok , but i this one chepper thn notebook kit Newegg.com - SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128B/WW 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

maybe take this ant sata cables?