Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2012, 04:25 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Default Seagate 2TB - ST32000641AS vs. ST2000DM001

Both are 2TB, 7200RPM drives, and disregarding price for the moment, what is the difference between the two? I've heard a lot about the noise the ST2000DM001 makes when it parks its heads.
Old July 19, 2012, 06:09 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Barracude XT is their "RAID Edition". In theory, better RAID support, longer MTBF and 3yr warranty.

My brother just got the ST1000DM001 and it's been perfectly fine. No audible noise from it and it's a pretty quick drive since it has 1TB platters. This is the 1TB model though.

Old July 20, 2012, 09:34 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the reply.

I've decided to go with the Barracuda XT.

Truth is, I actually bought a ST2000DM001 2 and a half months ago, and I've been wrestling with Seagate support for the past 2 months trying to get rid of that chirping noise, then trying to update firmware to no avail, and finally getting multiple bum replacements.

It looks like the first iteration of the 1TB/platter / Advanced Format+7200RPM has been a bumpy transition, at least for Seagate. They agreed to swap it for a new XT instead, which I think is a pretty good deal, and I should be able to ride out the 3 year warranty until they work out the kinks and I need to upgrade.
Old July 20, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

All seagates chirp. Just all WDs make a more "click" sound. Nature of the platter and spindle beast. IF the chirp is LOUD then I would look to your PSU. Seagates are more sensitive to voltage ripple than some....BUT they let you KNOW when they are not happy.

Yank the drive and try on a different rig with a different PSU. It is possible that you got bad luck...but I would bet its a PSU issue and not a pure HDD issue....that or you are just more sensitive to their chirp (ie your ears are sensitive to that range of Hz the noise resides in). If so....sound deadening material for your case (or better case) is a wonderful investment. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 21, 2012, 08:46 AM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for that bit of knowledge. I never knew other Seagates also had that problem.

That said, I've had multiple PSUs to test on (purely coincidental; I was testing for VGA coil whine at the time), and back then, I always thought the sound was just coming from my PSU fan winding down. Turns out the chirping was coming from the new drive. (Btw, I own another older Seagate 1tb drive. Now that you mention it, it also has the "chirp" but it was never noticeable until I took a very careful listen while doing some tests yesterday)

From what I've read from user reports, even if the chirping is normal, the frequency at which it happens for the ST2000DM001, and other 1TB/platter drives, is not, on the lines of every 2 minutes. It seems like the only way to fix that is to disable APM via third-party software like CrystalDisk.

Anywho, I'm hoping, maybe baselessly, that the older replacement drive will have less or no chirping, or at least have it less pronounced like my 1tb.
Old July 21, 2012, 10:09 AM
Allstar

XT are not Seagate's RAID optimized drives. Those are the ES drives (WD's are RE series) and you pay a healthy premium for them over conventional drives.
Old July 21, 2012, 01:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

I thought xt was the laptop line?
Old July 21, 2012, 02:01 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

It is in the Momentus 2.5" notebook line. The 'cuda XTs are the older gen 3.5" 7200rpm high performance drives. Seagate dropped the "XT" off the end for the NEW 1TB platter std hdd 'cuda as in all likelihood they will be bringing out a 3.5" Hybrid...which will get the "XT" moniker. OR atleast that is the plan / rumour that I heard last. No idea if it will ever come about, but if they DO buy OCZ its almost a given. ;)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 25, 2012, 01:13 PM
Rookie
F@H

My System Specs

Just as an update:

The XT rocks! It works just as quietly and painlessly as my 1TB drive (ST31000524AS), no chirping or high load count. This is what I should have gone for to begin with!

EDIT: The Barracuda XT has a very similar looking model name as my older 1TB Barracuda (ST31000524AS vs ST32000641AS) and all the drives that are reported to chirp are the new ST1000, ST2000 and ST3000, etc.