Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 19, 2012, 08:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Thanks guys.....going to go with the Intel, I've enjoyed the use of there Toolbox with my other Intels.

Old July 20, 2012, 04:04 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkG View Post
Rofl. Um yes the Intel 520 does indeed use custom IN-HOUSE firmware (that they spent over a year working on). SandForce opened up their code only for Intel. Thus the Intel 520 uses its OWN custom firmware. That is different than any other SF2281 drives. Is it based on stock?...of course. BUT because it IS custom firmware the Intel toolbox will fully work on a 520 but NOT on any other SF2281 drive. Dont beleive me? Try running the optimizer option in the toolbox on oh say a HyperX OR any non-Intel drive. ;)

The very fact you call one of the largest SSD providers with probably the largest group of models "garbage" just goes to show how biased you are.

Yes the 830 is good kit. I like it a lot. BUT the 520 w/ its toolbox is a better fit for most peoples needs. YMMV on this one and most peeps can NOT go wrong with either. ;)
intel toolbox merely probes Device identify of the drive and only accepts Intel branded drives, if I changed my SSD build to the same device name it would also work on the intel toolbox. The toolbox is a sales tool for intel, it's not like RST which is unlocked to any storage device.
Sorry I work in the engineering department of a SSD manufacter.
As for being biased, OCZ still sucks and I highly recommend Kingston HyperX, Intel or Samsung, in other words, quality drives. I'm biased toward quality products.
Old July 20, 2012, 04:04 AM
Rookie

Btw can we see some benches plz :)
Old July 20, 2012, 05:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3m0n5 View Post
Btw can we see some benches plz :)
Check out the review section..
Old July 21, 2012, 01:00 AM
Rookie

Reviews are reviews, I like seeing what the millions of different notebooks and desktops get in performance rather than what one reviewer got on one testing platform... If I wanted a review I would have clicked review thanks
Old July 21, 2012, 01:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Reviews are reviews, I like seeing what the millions of different notebooks and desktops get in performance rather than what one reviewer got on one testing platform... If I wanted a review I would have clicked review thanks
Don't be an absolute asshole.. go read before you say anything... Not all reviews are just opinions of someone say "this seems faster"..

Sometimes I really wish there was a block button..
Old July 21, 2012, 05:50 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Don't be an absolute asshole.. go read before you say anything... Not all reviews are just opinions of someone say "this seems faster"..

user control panel, edit ignore list
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 21, 2012, 07:54 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Yeah. I would recommend that. I know I am. He is biased, doesnt want to listen to anyone's POV and most likely works for Intel's competition (if thats even true). Most people here know me and know I dont play favourites. I call like I see it and dont take anyone's side BUT THE CONSUMER. I dont care about brands. I care about what is the best options for customers.

IMHO Like Intel or hate them. Their 5 series are great kit that is better for many people's needs than a Sammy 830. BUT the Sam 830 is an excellent drive too! Both have excellent QA depts. Both have EXCELLENT rma depts. Both are not in it for a quick buck. Both take care of their customers.

Same goes for OCZ and his hate of them. They are one of the big dogs and thus competition. Hell, some people cant let go of the past (I got burned for over 20 sticks back w/ the original OCZ and their 'rma' dept but I still respect the NEW ocz and what they have done). Fact of the matter is OCZ helped put SSDs on the map. Samsung wasnt interested in anything besides the OEM market (and JM....ugh the less said the better about the original JMs the better!). OCZ took an unknown mfg're RISKED a crapload and made the Vertex 1 and gave home user enthusiasts a REAL option. Now they have done it again with the Vertex 4. Which is shaping up into a great drive and great competition for Intel, Marvell and the all the other big dogs.

YMMV

Edit:
And for the record. All the Storage reviews under the "reviews" section are mine. They are my benches as you so inelegantly put it. Lets see yours mate. Oh thats right. You are all about the 'big picture' and dont let reviews get in the way of your "facts". Oh and if you really do work for a company AND CAN PROVE IT you had better let the mods know. We dont let mfg reps slag other companies here anonymously. Do it, get your mfg'er banner or i will be reporting you and trying to get your ass banned.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 21, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old July 21, 2012, 04:38 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Edit: I am going to leave me comments even though lil D here pulled his last comment where he said I dont know what I am talking about and how TPU's review are the be all and end all.

Nope not all knowing. Far from it. But I put about 200hrs into each review. How much testing have you done?

Honestly, fanboi it seems your reading comprehension skills are as poor as your people skills. I put all devices through multiple tests in multiple scenarios. sata 3, Sata 2, non-trim, custom synthetic, custom real world. You would know this if you actually read the reviews. But that would mean thinking other people's opinions matter.

I call you a fanboi as you are are biased against OCZ and you have also claimed multiple times that Intels are nothing special. Prove YOU are something special. Prove that you are not a fanboi but actually do represent a mfg'er. Prove that you know what you are talking about with some credentials.

So put up or shut up....or better yet DO BOTH.

Edit 2:

hmm IP for him is:
gatekeeper.kingston-technology.com
in the UK

tsk tsk mate. Wonder how much Kingston UK is going to be happy with you? Going around slagging other companies is NOT professional. At. All.

edit 3:

before he deletes his other posts.

Quote:
Intel 520 is not custom firmware. Some models have RAISE disabled hence higher performance.
Intel 520 or Kingston HyperX 3K are good choices. Stick to sync ONFI2 NAND for best performance.
OCZ=garbage, lots of failures in the field.
Alternatively Samsung 830 is a great drive at a great deal!
Quote:
intel toolbox merely probes Device identify of the drive and only accepts Intel branded drives, if I changed my SSD build to the same device name it would also work on the intel toolbox. The toolbox is a sales tool for intel, it's not like RST which is unlocked to any storage device.
Sorry I work in the engineering department of a SSD manufacter.
As for being biased, OCZ still sucks and I highly recommend Kingston HyperX, Intel or Samsung, in other words, quality drives. I'm biased toward quality products.
Quote:

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr

Last edited by AkG; July 21, 2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old July 21, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagath View Post
Just tells you how good this community is.. I've been reading and posting here for quite some time now and never needed this before.. lol

Cheers for the info.