Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2012, 02:25 PM
Top Prospect

Default SSD question - rearranging!

I've piecemealed a couple of SSDs over the years and would like to rearrange my PC.

My current storage setup:

1x 128GB Mushkin SSD - Contains OS and everything else it can fit.
1x 64GB Crucial M4 - used for a couple of applications, games etc.
1x 128GB Crucial M4 - unopened/not installed at moment.

I'd like to wipe everything from my current drives (no idea how to uninstall windows and make SSD blank again). As for storage drive...I assume just delete all folders and files/uninstall programs via device manager to blank the SSD?

I want the 64GB to contain my windows 7 OS and nothing else.

I then want to use the other drives for games etc. everything else.

What would be the best way of going about this. I have my windows 7 64 bit installation disc. If I try to put it on the smaller drive, will it cause any issues, spazzing about different hardware setup etc.

Thanks for any advice/recommendations/suggestions. Probably stupid questions but just don't want to cause myself any headaches.
Old July 15, 2012, 05:34 PM
Top Prospect

Upon doing a little more research, it looks like I'd just use a program called parted magic to erase both hard drives, then would I just connect all 3 drives, set to achieve, install windows to the 64gb and done? Or do I need to setup the drives by assigning them as e:/ and f:/ etc from within windows environment?
Old July 15, 2012, 08:32 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You could just reinstall windows on your 64GB drive and choose 'format' when prompted. Once windows is installed, use drive manager to format your other drives.

You realize that the 64GB M4 is actually a slower drive than your 128Gb M4, right? You'll probably get slightly better performance from installing your OS and all your programs on your 128Gb M4...

HTPC: Z77A-G45; 3770K; Coolermaster GeminII; 2x4GB Kingston HyperX 1600Mhz; MSI R7-260X; 2x 128GB Crucial M4 SSD; 1TB WD Green, 2x 2TB WD Green; PC P&C 750W PS; Fractal Design Node 605;
Son's Rig: M5A97; 1055T; CNPS20LQ; 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz; ASUS GTX650Ti Boost; 80GB Intel 520 SSD; 320GB WD Black HDD; SPI 700W; Bitfenix Shinobi;
Old July 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
Rookie

Use Parted Magic to secure erase the disks, it'll reset them to FOB state and full performance. Format in Windows IS NOT THE SAME. It has to do with the FTL LBA to PBA remapping. This way all pages/blocks are erased. Installing the OS on one lone 64GB is fine although I find it a pain to set up redirects for games etc. I just stick to a 240GB drive. Make sure you boot off PM and use erase disk ATA Internal secure erase, no need for enhanced SE even if u support it unless ur using the embedded encryption engine.