Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
Allstar

Default Patriot Pyro ssd question

Any good or bad reasons to get or not get a Patriot Pyro drive like this?
Reading reviews it seems silly to buy it now that other 60gb drives are coming down in price so often, but I've got some store credit to use, nothing else to blow it on at BB.

Patriot Pyro 60GB SATA III Solid State Drive (PP60GS25SSDR) : Solid State Drives (SSD) - Best Buy Canada
Old July 10, 2012, 07:48 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

IF you got store cred at BB....here are some BETTER options (if they are not in stock locally...get em to bring it in for you):

Crucial m4 64GB SATA Solid State Drive (CT064M4SSD2) : Solid State Drives (SSD) - Best Buy Canada

lower price. ONFi 2 NAND. More tolerant of non-trim environments. Excellent CS.

Crucial M4 128GB SATA Solid State Drive (CT128M4SSD2) : Solid State Drives (SSD) - Best Buy Canada

bigger, faster brother. IF its 1 bill of store credit...its the best 5 bucks (plus tax) you will ever spend. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 11, 2012, 02:39 AM
Allstar

I saw those, and was put off by the write speed. So it's nothing to worry about? Seems so much lower.
Old July 11, 2012, 04:22 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Sequential write is the worst way to pick a SSD for your OS. Look at the 4K write performance. The 60s are slower than the 120's which are slower than the 256'ers. This is true for both the SF2281 and Marvell based drives. But if I had to chose between a Agility 3 level drive and a M4......the M4 wins every time.

YMMV but the M4s are a much better drive than any ONFi 1 SF2281 drive of the same (or one size up) capacity.

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old July 11, 2012, 05:52 AM
Allstar

Thanks AkG, I will see if they can get the M4 at my local store.