Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2012, 07:37 PM
Rookie

Default SSD -what to install on it

Running Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit on a Z68 board. Current boot drive is conventional (2 TB)

Looking at an Intel 520 120 GB SSD.

Obviously, Windows 7 would go on it. What about apps? Mainly Office 2010, Corel Paint Shop Pro, Acrobat 7 (old but works), AV. Data created by them would go to the conventional hdd? Can the Library content (mainly pictures, video & music) be placed elsewhere? Restore points & all the associated directories/files "alphabet soup" in C:\?

How much of the SSD's capacity should be in use & how much should be kept free?

Should I enable Intel's Smart Response Technology or ignore it?
Old July 7, 2012, 08:01 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Install everything to it. Obviously don't put your documents, photos, videos, music, etc on it because those files don't require the speed of the SSD.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:14 PM
Rookie

Put all programs on the ssd. If you have lots of music/photos/videos etc. put them on an external HDD so youncan turn it off when you don't need to access them. I HATE the sound of magnetic HDD.
Old July 7, 2012, 08:15 PM
Top Prospect

Personally, I just put my programs on my SSD along with the OS. Typically 120GB is enough space for the OS and most programs. AFAIK, it's recommended the stay below 80% full or so on the SSD so the wear leveling is more effective, but less than that is even better.

With your data folders, it actually quite easy to move the default Pictures, Music, etc... folders to another location in Windows. If you right-click on a user folder and select 'Properties', there is a 'Location' tab. From there you can just specify a new location on your mechanical disk and click on the Move button.

Another good folder to move is the system temp folders (Advanced system settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables).

Regarding your restore points, personally I just use a 3rd party disk imaging program (Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, etc...) to manage restoring my system. With that, I disable system restore to save the disk space. TBH, this is something I'd recommend if you don't do this already - it's far more effective than system restore if you run into a snag.

Hope this helps! :)
Old July 7, 2012, 08:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I learned the hard way to install everything on your SSD that is related to programs and OS. I didn't do that for some of my programs and games, and now they crash a lot... Forcing me to reformat only after like 3 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francisw19 View Post
With your data folders, it actually quite easy to move the default Pictures, Music, etc... folders to another location in Windows. If you right-click on a user folder and select 'Properties', there is a 'Location' tab. From there you can just specify a new location on your mechanical disk and click on the Move button.

Another good folder to move is the system temp folders (Advanced system settings -> Advanced Tab -> Environment Variables).

Regarding your restore points, personally I just use a 3rd party disk imaging program (Acronis True Image, Macrium Reflect, Image for Windows, etc...) to manage restoring my system. With that, I disable system restore to save the disk space. TBH, this is something I'd recommend if you don't do this already - it's far more effective than system restore if you run into a snag.
Not sure if this is in the SSD sticky thread on what to install and stuff but if it isn't, AKG! Add it in?
Old July 8, 2012, 04:25 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I like to put my music on my ssd too, but with a backup of all my music on my storage drive. I don't know if it's just me, but itunes always lags a bit when I start my music if I'm loading my music from my storage drive.
Old July 8, 2012, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

So you wanna buy a SSD? Read this first.

the ssd sticky is worth a read I think. I like to intall Windows, and my games, core applications on my ssd. Storage and programs that don't need to be fast can go on other storage.
Old July 9, 2012, 06:05 AM
Rookie

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Visited Intel site & d/l a nice transfer utility. When set up (OS + apps) the ssd will be about 2/3 full.