Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 6, 2012, 05:51 PM
Rookie

Default The old HDD is on it's last legs..

Hey guys, basically my 500 GB HDD is starting to clog up with all my stuff and is slowing down day by day. What I want to know is, if I buy an SSD, will I be able to simply transfer the OS from the old HDD to the SSD? (I'd obviously make sure to backup all my important files and make sure I wouldn't be transferring to much stuff.)

So yeah, Is it possible? How do I do it?

It'd also be nice if you could recommend a decent SSD for a 100 (160 Canadian Dollars).

Thanks for any help.
Old July 6, 2012, 06:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Buy a back up drive like a Western Didigital esensials or better Live 2 TB or Seagate equivalant. Back evthing up n to the storge drive fists.

Going SSD means tha you will have best results by relaoding the OS from a CD and strting new and fresh.

Go fore a 64 bit OS if you dont already have one installed. 32 bit Windows only can use propperly use 4 GB of RAM

Intel 520 / 120 GB SSD has the highest reviews on this site fore SSD

going fore a 120 GB or larger SSD is better than smaller. I am having some problems with my 60 GB SSD and all the standerd stuff I like to have avalble.

Old July 7, 2012, 11:10 AM
Rookie

For under $160CAD, you'd be looking at a 128GB SSD. I think the best all-around drive for reliability/performance/price/support is the Samsung 830, but unfortunately they are not widely sold in Canada. TigerDirect.ca currently has it on sale for $129.99. There is also a desktop upgrade version which includes Norton Ghost cloning software to transfer your existing OS installation for $149.99.

There are free cloning programs available, but I've only ever used Acronis True Image.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:33 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I doubt someone pricing in pounds is in Canada. The UK availability of the 830 seems solid. Limited but free cloning programs are available from Western Digital and Seagate -- they're both Acronis-based, but with regular backup capability removed. You can clone or manually back up, however.

What I might recommend is a fresh install of your OS onto the SSD, then transferring over your settings. Windows Easy Transfer, which you can do in seperate steps -- create the file with your current setup in place, save the file it creates to a USB key, remove your existing hard drive, install Windows, then run WET to transfer your settings, and then reinstall your old hard drive.
Old July 7, 2012, 12:44 PM
Hall Of Fame

arconis is the best option to transfer hdd image to a new drive thats bigger
Old July 7, 2012, 01:10 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
I doubt someone pricing in pounds is in Canada
Hehe. I immediately assumed he was in Canada visiting or something.

Well, there's a Norton Ghost-bundled version that's even cheaper in the UK at 79.99 with free shipping. This version is the notebook upgrade kit that includes additional mounting hardware.

The desktop basic version (drive only) without Norton Ghost is the same price.

Edit: You may need to purchase a 3.5" to 2.5" adapter to mount the drive in your case.

Last edited by redline; July 7, 2012 at 01:16 PM.